A place for geezers, grey hairs, and oldies to discuss independent travel. Reminisce about travel in the days before Lonely Planet and discuss issues applicable to the mature traveller.

What type of travelling do you do now

Jeanie99

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 10th, 2010
you are part of the older generation, by this I mean seniors
We are off this October on a 7 week overland trip in a truck and camping from Cape Town to Nairobi then 5 weeks on the Kenya coast.
We'll be in our late 60s by 2011 winter so thought perhaps we should be thinking of staying longer in each place we visit perhaps a month and then move on. The moving every 1-2-3 days can be very tiring and certainly if you do a 12 month trip.
I'd like to hear what other older members do and have their travelling habits altered over the years.
Jean

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 12th, 2010
I never traveled except for business & short vacations until the winter of 08/09 when I did a 6 mo. trip to Central America & Cuba in search of the perfect retirement location, which I thought I had found. Until on my RTW, started Aug 09 & due to be back at starting point the end of next month, where I discovered SE Asia.

On both trips I tried to spend a minimum of 3 days in one place, on occasion spending 1 - 2 months in a location.

However, now, having traveled to most of my bucket list destinations + from me experiences staying longer in different locations, I have come to realize that short term stays are not only too tiring but that you don't get to know much of the local way of life.

The plan now is to use my newly acquired (in Bangkok) TEFL certificate & teach a term or more in a location then travel a bit doing shorter stays then teach another term. I intend to do this as long as I am able as when I return to my old home next month it will be to sell my remaining possessions, finish the European & Middle Eastern portion of my RTW & return to Bangkok for the November term. :) Will be 64 when I leave again.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

backlasher

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 22nd, 2010
I'm 63 and soon to be 64. I stay mostly in B&Bs now, hostels with bathrooms down the hall don't work very well for me. Moving from one place to another is harder than it used to be and I like staying longer in one area. I get a better taste of the local culture that way and it's a lot easier on me. As I age, I prefer western-type destinations, western and eastern Europe instead of SEA,Africa and Central America. That's just me and, since travel is such an individual thing, others may have completely different ideas. You might read Hey Boomers Dust Off Your Backpacks by Linda J. Brown. At 67 she traveled around the world by herself.
The feature I most value in a pack is a Sherpa.
Static

Jeanie99

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 25th, 2010
Hi both,
thanks for your comments it's interesting hearing from people of my age and how they travel. We more or less have now come to the idea of longer stays that's after our next trip in October. For the winter of 2011 thought we would stay on 4 of the Carribean (never been to that part of the world) islands 3 weeks on each travelling around the island as and when we felt like it. So love retirement.
Happy travelling and keep safe.
Jean

Over50andOverseas

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 16th, 2010
Hi Jeanie 99,
I do a lot of short term assignments, two to three months, as a volunteer. After being a Peace Corps volunteer in the early 90s, I was over 50 then, I began international volunteering. I started as a UN Volunteer for the elections in Bosnia in 1996 and haven't stopped. I used to fight the long air trips but have now learned to relax and enjoy - most of the time! I am currently in Egypt on assignment. There is more on my website, Over50andOverseas.com

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 17th, 2010
Guess I should do an update as my plans have changed.

Mother (90) took a turn for the worse just before I returned to Canada, so after considering all possibilities I purchased a house in El Salvador, moved mother there. Plan on doing a bit of teaching this winter then when she has settled in will do some shorter trips in South America, leaving SE Asia on the back burner for the time being.

Sort of checking out the Silk Route for the next Asian adventure.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Return to Still Going...