What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

What's the best must-try SE Asian steet foods

Food Pilgrim

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: asia, thailand, vietnam, indonesia, cambodia, laos, food, soup, stew, street-food, dining, authentic
  • Added on: January 26th, 2011
We are planning a trip through as many South-east Asian countries as we can hit in 1 month (Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos, etc. ) and want to make a hit list of street foods to seek out for each country.
What is your top pick for each country? We love Spicy, love sea-food, love soups / stews etc.

Also what street-food dishes are really pushing the envelope of palatability (To avoid or build up courage)

Sage

Fluffy_bunny

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 26th, 2011
Rat in Laos. Insects in Cambodia. Dog in Vietnam.
For tips and storied on Central Asia, the Middle East and Central America, check out my blog
http://joestrippin.blogspot.com

Curt1591

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 27th, 2011
Kanom Jeen - a silky rice noodle with different curries spooned over it

Kai yang, somtam and khao neow - classic Isaan grilled chicken, papaya salad and sticky rice

Up Chiangmai way, find some Khao soy.

Khao mun kai - Thai style chicken rice - in Bangkok head to Kaiton, at soi 30 Petchaburi Road

If you decide to partake in the "gamier" treats - bugs, rats and others - you might do well to do so outside the cities. In the cities, such animals have a very questionable diet!

rhythm_blues

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

We loved fresh sugar cane juice in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Food Pilgrim

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Thanks for the great start gang,
Kurt,
We love noodle dishes. Where are these found: "Kanom Jeen - a silky rice noodle with different curries spooned over it" ?

yanks26dmb

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Ive heard butterworth(georgetown) in malaysia is a fantastic stop for foodies...read up on it..

Food Pilgrim

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 28th, 2011
Thanks Yanks, that looks like a good one. Thanks to Curt for the hyper-specific PM.
We are definitely on the right path.

AndrewN

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 11th, 2011
Not spicy or seafood, but three street items I really enjoyed in Thailand were:

+ Mango sticky rice (as a dessert item, cooked with coconut milk)
+ Dumplings (likely more Chinese than Thai, I had some in Bangkok somewhat near the Grand Palace, and they were better than any I had eaten previously back home in New York City's Chinatown)
+ These bean pancake things (sold at many places on the street in Bangkok, super inexpensive)

China-Matt

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 14th, 2011
There was a night market in Penang that had spicy stingray in a banana leaf. It was amazing.

In Thailand I mostly bought fruit on the street--the rose apples were great. I think most of my other meals were in small restaurants.
Booze, Food, Travel
Terracotta Typewriter: a literary journal with Chinese characteristics

go girl now

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 17th, 2012
And don't forget to try the durian fruit. Then report back on your sensations.

dtraveller

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 20th, 2012
Try Balut and Penoy in the Philippines.

A balut is a fertilized duck embryo that is boiled and eaten in the shell. It is commonly sold as streetfood in the Philippines. While a penoy is a boiled egg of a duck.

It's an aphrodisiac and can be eaten together with beer.

Enjoy!

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 21st, 2012
dtraveller wrote:Try Balut and Penoy in the Philippines.

A balut is a fertilized duck embryo that is boiled and eaten in the shell. It is commonly sold as streetfood in the Philippines. While a penoy is a boiled egg of a duck.

Enjoy!

That has to be the grossest thing I have ever seen anywhere in my travels & one has to be of questionable intellect to eat it imo.

Street food in Phnom Penh was not appetizing so I didn't try it, the street pancakes in Bangkok were great.
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

BuildingMyBento

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 31st, 2012
dtraveller wrote:Try Balut and Penoy in the Philippines.

Enjoy!

Penoy, aka a Filipino?

I tried balut, in Pedro Burgos, Manila- I didn't see it everywhere, but if you come across a woman with a basket, then inside of that the balut are being kept warm for your pleasure...
I travel, I eat, I find umeboshi, I blog, I am chuffed: http://buildingmybento.wordpress.com/

BuildingMyBento

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 31st, 2012
Jakarta and Bangkok have seemingly endless amounts of street eats- both in the quantity of vendors and in the variety of food.

If you've got a willing gullet (and the superhuman ability to filter pollution out of your lungs), a trip to both of these megacities might be a positive dining experience.

AFAIK, the cities of Indonesia and Malaysia much of the time have street food, usually in the form of local fare, but also other standard issue dishes (for example, in Indonesia, nasi goreng/fried rice, mie/noodles and tofu in some form).
I travel, I eat, I find umeboshi, I blog, I am chuffed: http://buildingmybento.wordpress.com/

foodtravelandlife

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 16th, 2013
Donghuamen Night Market In Beijing is a good'un for street food. Try the deep fried scorpions, they taste like French fries!

I also love the classic fishball/cheung fun combo in any Hong Kong street market. Dammit, got a craving now! :D
Love food, love travel, love life!
http://www.foodtravelandlife.com

Next

Return to Food & Travel