Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

When to buy ticket to Costa Rica

Porifera

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 6th, 2011
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica in early May. I've been there before but it's been a while and plane tickets are more then I remember paying. I've read that May is the start of the rainy season and the slow season for tourism and that tickets were usually cheaper this time of year, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I'm wondering if the price will go down as it gets closer to this season, or if I should buy now cause prices are only going to go up. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Andy

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 7th, 2011
Hard to say without knowing your departure airport. Generally though, December and late May through early September are peak travel seasons, with airfares at their peak. Destination doesn't matter so much.

If you are trying to get to Costa Rica from North America, consider charter flights into Liberia. Look in your local Sunday paper's travel section for these fares. Also keep an eye open for flights into Panama City (PTY), whose airport is much busier with international flights than San Jose's. It's a long bus ride from Panama City to Costa Rica, but Panama is a better destination than Costa Rica anyway, in my opinion. There's a lot to see en route.

Porifera

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

I'm Reading everywhere that the rainy/low season goes from may-novemeber. I guess your just saying for travel in general though now that I look again. Well I'm planing on the very beginning of May, so hopefully that makes some kind of difference.
I'm heading from Phx, Az. I'll look into chartering a plane, would that really be a cheaper way to go.
I haven't looked into Panama too much, I just did an airline search though and tickets were actually quite a bit more.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Porifera wrote:I'm Reading everywhere that the rainy/low season goes from may-novemeber. I guess your just saying for travel in general though now that I look again. Well I'm planing on the very beginning of May, so hopefully that makes some kind of difference.
I'm heading from Phx, Az. I'll look into chartering a plane, would that really be a cheaper way to go.
I haven't looked into Panama too much, I just did an airline search though and tickets were actually quite a bit more.

Not chartering a plane, a charter flight. Phoenix won't be a good source for charter flights though.

Try Kayak.com, and try using LAX or Houston - IAH as alternate airports. You shouldn't pay more than $400 roundtrip to San Jose from either of those airports, both of which have better Latin America connections than PHX.

Qwovadis

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 31st, 2011
Go down there a lot May begins the rainy reason fare prices with the majors slcks off then.

www.kayak.com/buzz good screening site for the majors some good seasonal deals there.

www.spirit.com has cheapest flights usually though FLL SJO far less expensive for me

or better get their "Free Spirit" CC 15000 FF miles and book off peak flights even FREE

for me into San Jose (SJO) and Bogota (BOG) in the last year.

For an extra $25-50 per leg even get upgraded to their First Class pretty awesome.

One caveat they do charge for everything even overheads so bring a medium pack

and slide it under the seat in front of you that is free and bring a CC for food no cash.

Happy Hunting,

Return to Central America Travel