A place for geezers, grey hairs, and oldies to discuss independent travel. Reminisce about travel in the days before Lonely Planet and discuss issues applicable to the mature traveller.

Where are all the old buggers?

dove

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 23rd, 2008
Actually, I don't think there is anything wrong with the Frommers site. Today there was an entry about avoiding planes and taking the train instead. He also encouraged his readers to vote for representatives who favor funding public transport like Amtrak. Pretty cool!

KathrynD

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 25th, 2008
Yeah, I like Frommer's too. It's a different crowd, for the most part, in terms of the questions asked. Tends to be less backpacker, hostelish. More middle-class travel independent travelers, but folks who like to get value for their dollar (or whatever unit of currency).

It tends to have lots of good questions and advice about destinations. I got a lot of great tips there before my last Japan trip on how to save money.

You can find me there sometimes, as kathrynD, or even on TripAdvisor as kathrynD. Hey, what can I say, I like to travel and it's my favorite discussion topic. Though I find myself strangely drawn more and more to BnA. We tend to get a very serious traveler crowd here.

Goin' Jessie

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 14th, 2008
Yeah, where are they? I just stuck my neck out yesterday and joined this boot thing because I liked the informal, cheeky atmosphere. I am also old, (I must be as I can get in the movies cheaper now) and wanna gather pearls of wisdom dropping from the lips of from those who have gone before me. My knees still bend and I can weave a basket out of anything. To catch those pearls in, of course.

I was hoping to start hangin' out with other silver-tressed travelers instead of running into my kids or their friends all the time.

bigmaude

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 15th, 2008
Not sure if I qualify as an "old bugger" but most likely
at 48 I do! Just returned from San Francisco and had a
great time. Still waiting for all of my kids to move so
I can finally embark on my RTW trip. I hope I make it...

Whistler

The Thunder From Downunder Goddess

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 28th, 2008
Hey Bigmaude! Howareya? Sent you some PM's reckon you didn't get them. Last time I saw you on the boards, you were moving house. Where have you been? Haven't seen you in Chit-Chat.
Gotta go, work calls.
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

MY TRAVEL ALBUMS
MELBOURNE DAILY PHOTO

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 4th, 2008
well, I'm a comparative punk in this thread...But I'm heading out soon...

I gotta guess that lots of "old Buggers" who are still ramming the roads(as my Daddy used to say RIP) don't really consider themselves old buggers and feel no need to post here. I seldom look here, and according to all the techno punk trance loving whelps out there, I am a dessicated fossil from the early Pleistene era.
Good Luck Out There.

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 4th, 2008
Not so. You're not dessicated.

Where are you going again?

Salmonarmor

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 5th, 2008
As we are both well over 70 I suppose we qualify. In 2007 we visited Australia, Burma and China (including Tibet.) This year we plan on South Africa, Britain, Namibia, and a bit of Botswana. Too bad airfares are getting so high, we may have to stay home.

Skyehiker

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 25th, 2008
change of plans. This "old bugger" ended up spending spring break in Zurich, incl. meeting BnA member Stoo in person--good times.

Spending a good part of summer on a backpacker-type trip thru Egypt & Jordan.

Will likely bring the "old bugger" knee brace for the Sinai climb Smile

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. ---St. Augustine

Corvinus

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 17th, 2008
Although my driver's license perpetrates the canard that I was born during WWII, I'm sure I must be about 35 years old. My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, and Nova Scotia within a few weeks.

No hostels, though, for us. Even when I was much younger, I liked to read at night and listening to loud "war stories" by people who have never said much worth listening to is not high on my list. I take the "Middle Path" of low cost B&Bs with a shared bathroom down the hall.

I am hoping sometime soon to take the TransSiberian railroad between Moscow and Vladivostok. It'll take some cash, and maybe a winning lottery ticket, but I am still hopeful.

When I was young, we were too poor to go anywhere; and my Dad never got very much vacation time. So I developed this great hunger for travel which still continues unabated.

backlasher

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 2nd, 2009
The Frommer site caters to the tour and 5 star hotel set. There's nothing wrong with that but I like to meet and live like the locals live as much as possible. Rather than taking America to some other place, I like to experience what makes that other place unique.
The feature I most value in a pack is a Sherpa.
Static

BillGlo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 9th, 2009
Growing older does not stop one from traveling, only financial and health problems do. At 52, my wife and I just returned from visiting Manila, Hong Kong, Macau and mainland China.

My sister is 65 and still jets around the world. Traveling is somewhat like exercising: if you have been doing either one all your life, then it's easy to continue. But exercise and travel are both difficult to start, later on in life.

redleader

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 27th, 2009
Corvinus wrote:Although my driver's license perpetrates the canard that I was born during WWII, I'm sure I must be about 35 years old. My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, and Nova Scotia within a few weeks. No hostels, though, for us. Even when I was much younger, I liked to read at night and listening to loud "war stories" by people who have never said much worth listening to is not high on my list. I take the "Middle Path" of low cost B&Bs with a shared bathroom down the hall.I am hoping sometime soon to take the TransSiberian railroad between Moscow and Vladivostok...

hey there, there's two items in your post that I can relate to...for one, I turn 35 in a few weeks and two, I just did a Trans-Siberian trip last fall from Beijing to Moscow (not exactly the same as the route you indicated).

It's all relative, really, to a 21-22 year old, I'm older than dirt. But at the same time I have friends in their late 20's early 30's who are married, with kids, and look, act, dress, like they're old farts (however you choose to define that term). It's all about attitude and how you "choose" to accept life and tackle life.

I only seriously started travelling in my late 20's and I wish I'd done it sooner. It's a truly amazing and rewarding world out there. The people that I've met on the road are some of the coolest, most open-minded, well-rounded, well-cultured, easy going, and, not to mention, educated (again, however you choose to define that term :D) people I've ever met.

zoomcharlieb

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 14th, 2009
I think how you spend your old age will be determined by how well you keep yourself in shape both in body and mind. A couple years ago, I decided I was going to be getting to old to go on a jungle trip if i didn't try and do it pretty soon, so i booked one with a friend of mine, who was younger than me by 10 years and we hit the trail in Carmelita, Guatemal and hiked for 110 miles in the Petain, saw old Mayan ruins that hardly anyone sees. It was a great experience.

Next year we took on the Peruvian highlands, going to Choquequirao, then onward for an 8 day trip with mules, guides, chef, etc. We went over passes over 15000' high. I felt as good as I have ever felt, almost as good as I think I felt when I was in my 20's fighting forest fires for a hot shot crew.. I was taking a breath every two steps as i went up that pass and I had to stay back a little to encourage one of my daughters who was lagging a little, but i got all three of my girls over the pass and it was a great experience, particulaly when 2 condors flew over just briefly and greeted us.

I haven't got another trip planned but am working on getting my kitchen pass, by sending my wife over to Spain to visit one of my daughters, Jenna, who is going to school there and then they will go to southern france, but when she gets back i aim to go to maybe the copper canyon or the Usamacinta river, maybe both, then aim to go back to Peru and try and discover my own lost city. I'm 62 and still full of a great joy in life and the challenges of independant travel, usually going only with carry on luggage.

You create your own reality. If you want to be an old codger you can, but my girls know their dad is still hard to keep up with and I think that is pretty cool. They in turn are a true joy and i told them that after they took that trip with me, that no man could ever say he outdid them in the physical realm. They had moxie. I surprised them on the 4th day in from the nearest road and took out my portable solar shower. It was tough on the poor muleteers to see these beauties in their bikinis lathering it up in the wilderness.

I walk an hour a day upand down hiilside streets and then push it by running up and down the equivalent of a 60 story stair case, sometimes more That will get your heart pounding.
I did a book on it with pictures and narrative published on Blurb. It's no best seller, but you can look it up on blurb under Choquequirao, A journey with 2 dads and 4 daughters. Quite a trip.

EB

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 10th, 2009
I am by local standards a young old bugger. At 45 I am just beginning to explore travel. I am a teacher which gives me 2 months off each summer, which is nice because the money fairy still visits me every 2 weeks regardless of where I am.

At my stage of decrepitude I am looking for a contemplative experience, not a beer soaked holiday. I hope this section becomes more lively.
Free your mind - your ass will follow
bloggylicious

PreviousNext

Return to Still Going...