What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

Where Do You Eat?

Curt1591

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 28th, 2010
and the decor is often very fancy in many countries

Surprising, one of the best decorated eateries I found in Sydney, Australia, was a McDonalds!

Ashleisurely

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 4th, 2010
Normally, we eat places that are cheap, quick and yummy (most the time...mistakes have been made, but we learn from them...haha). Big fans of street food, or small restaurants that don't have their menus in multiple languages, but one of my favorite things of all is to go shopping at the local market or grocery store, and make a picnic, or just eat in one night. We've had some amazingly cheap, delicious meals this way.

Lancer786

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 5th, 2010
Well, I like South Asian food, The Afghani Karahi, Pakistani Biryani and Chicken Tikka are my favorites, give them a try, it chilly billy hotty spicy food.

krisited

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 17th, 2010
for me, I would try recommendations from friends who have been from that certain place..I also would want to eat on locally owned stores to taste local cuisine/specialty..for me travelling is not complete without trying the food ;)

Jully

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 14th, 2010
Travelers best food is "fast food" :D When I'm on trip McDonald's always helps me out. If book room in hotel then I prefer eat there. They have good food but no always depends on place. I had bad experience with bad food in hotel.

Bellbird

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 23rd, 2010
If I'm meeting someone for a meal I find a nice local restaurant. I try to avoid chains and I never do McDonalds et al. There's a McDonalds a 5min walk from my apartment, I'm not going to go halfway around the world to eat the same! For light meals I'll try and find a little local place, bakery or deli or cafe. Food quality is usually much fresher and more "home made" and less mass-produced, and local flavours shine through.
MP3 Walking Tours: Sydney Tours

Curt1591

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 24th, 2010
Bellbird wrote:... There's a McDonalds a 5min walk from my apartment, I'm not going to go halfway around the world to eat the same! ...

You might find they are not the same.

VagabondQuest

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 29th, 2010
McDonald's is sometimes a good option for cheap and fulfilling meal, cure your homesickness (comfort food!), and more importantly: free WiFi! (At least in many Western European countries and Sydney)

Many countries have their unique regional McDonald's items, that are fun to check out.

So while I usually will want to eat what local eats, I don't cross off McDonald's :)
Dina at VagabondQuest
http://www.vagabondquest.com/

VagabondQuest

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 29th, 2010
Want to add:
The McDonald's in Indonesia has deep fried bone-in chicken, that is served with rice, ketchup, and chili sauce. They also have sunny side egg on steamed rice. I'm not saying that this is better than the local food (local food is way more amazingly delicious!), but this regional stuff is fun to try if you need to use that free WiFi :)

I found an article about other regional McDonald's items around the world:
http://trifter.com/practical-travel/budget-travel/mcdonald%E2%80%99s-strange-menu-around-the-world/
Dina at VagabondQuest
http://www.vagabondquest.com/

Katie Tomson

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 9th, 2010
I think it's good to try everything, and a lot depends on your current circumstances (budget, the place you're in, whether you're in a hurry, etc.). Nevertheless, the places I like most are small local eateries. They're very often owned by local families. I've always found the food there good and at the same time 'safe' to eat. In some very touristic regions, however, even small restaurants like these will serve you e.g. a simple steak with French fries. I try to avoid those.

Daawgon

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 17th, 2010
rhythm_blues wrote:I prefer smaller, locally-owned places (whether they are restaurants or mobile carts) that are indicative of the culture I'm in. Trying new foods is part of what I enjoy about traveling. In my opinion, if you stick to major international hotel chains and the like for all of your meals, 1) you'll pay a lot more money, 2) you'll lose some authenticity (e.g. much blander versions of what the locals are eating) and 3) you might as well stay home and eat at the hotel in your home town -- it would be a similar experience for a lot less money and hassle.

Although I know it can happen, I have rarely gotten sick eating in local places. I pick places that are well-populated, especially by people who seem to be local; I figure they are good judges of what will be a good restaurant. The more people are eating there, the less likely the food is to be sitting out for too long, thus reducing the likelihood of getting sick. Of course, if I'm actually visiting someone who knows the area, that's great; they can steer me to their favorite restaurants and order the food.

If I'm in a country where I don't speak or read the language, and there is no English on the menu, then I just point to what someone else is eating, to indicate that I'd like that too.

I totally agree with this post - this is how I eat, and eat very well, when I'm anywhere. I really appreciate these unique little places because I live in the chain-dominated USA of terribly overpriced, bad restaurants. I've all but given up on eating out at home when I compare it to SE Asia, where I can get real quality and real taste for very little.

I also think that age has something to do with the selection of places to eat. When I was younger, I too ate at fast food, chain places much of the time. Things have changed quite a bit now that I really value "cooked to order" meals that have real depth of taste.

Jeanie99

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 8th, 2010
We don't stick to any particular chain, never even thought about that. Just go to the place which looks appealing.
Jean

JR_TheDriftersBlog

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 9th, 2010
living in taiwan, the night markets are huge here for dinner, and daytime is lunch plates at street corner shops. total 4 bucks a day to feed myself. of course i go for the occasional western style or upscale chinese food at least once a week, and going to a beef noodle shop a few times a week too.
JR@ DriftersBlog.com "The Drifters Blog" has tips, thoughts & inspiration for your next trip!

LivingInTransit

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 12th, 2010
I go for cheap dives and street food most days out of the week, with one or two meals a week in a nice sit-down place with a few adult beverages. You have to give yourself a break every once in a while, but you also have to make sure you're watching the budget.
Living In Transit | A Travel Blog By Two Clumsy Budget Travelers
Follow Me On Twitter

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 12th, 2010
Normally try to stay away from McDonalds but in OZ they are about the cheapest places to eat & the free internet is a nice bonus.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Travel