What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

Where Do You Eat?

JR_TheDriftersBlog

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 14th, 2010
Wow, I'm glad I decided to sign into my Bootsnall tonight as I just finished posting and my latest blog is about "Dining Choices, Foreign vs. Familiar" I explain more about my thoughts on the matter in my post but generally I do a mix of both. I love to try and taste the local cuisine, eating at little street stalls, hole in the wall restaurants, even upscale local cuisine, but I don't just limit myself to that. I also allow myself to eat the familiar every once in a while. I think balance is key to enjoying the whole experience. Anyway check out my latest post on this subject here! http://www.driftersblog.com/1/post/2010/06/drifters-thoughts-dining-choicesforeign-vs-familiar.html
JR@ DriftersBlog.com "The Drifters Blog" has tips, thoughts & inspiration for your next trip!

Nomadic Nigel

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 29th, 2010
Depends where I am really. In Asia I go for small restaurants or hawker stands. In Australia and Europe anywhere that takes my fancy. In Morocco some of the best food was in the Djma al Fna night market.

I basically eat where the locals eat based on the assumption that if they eat there its most likely going to be good food. The only time I deviated from this was in China with hooleyhoop and our friend. We had just travelled overland from Moscow to Beijing with a week in a ger in Mongolia. Understandably knackered we ate in the hotel. Within 24 hours we were all violently sick and I even missed our trip to the Great Wall.
Have camera, will travel - you coming bro?

aussiegirl

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 29th, 2010
Local restaurants, and we make a lot of our own food.
http://www.notebookinhand.com - for writers, artists, musicians and actors.

dHitchhiker

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 2nd, 2010
Usually you can find cheap places with good food. You don't need to eat at McD every time. If you have visited the place more than once, you get the feeling of where the good places are.

Nomadic Nigel

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

There is nothing worse than the traveller who insists on going to McD or Subway or any other western fast food chain. I think it is just a waste of a potential experience.

For those who do hit that fast food chains, go on, get out there and try the local food - you might just enjoy it!!!!

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Since in OZ about the only place to find free Wi-Fi is McDonalds & everywhere is insanely expensive I ended up there a lot.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Curt1591

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I always hit a McDonalds in a new country. It's interesting to discover different takes on a standard. My wife, Thai, used to frequent KFC for their fish sandwich, something not even available in the States. McDonalds is also a good place for consistent coffee.

Surprisingly, Oz was one place that could really screw up a Big Mac!

Nomadic Nigel

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 3rd, 2010
I still don't understand why people use mdonalds in Aus. There are some amazing local burger places where you get a really good quality thick burger, fresh bun, fresh lettuce, nice thick slice of beetroot and lashings of cheese!

Screw BigMac, I go local!

As We Travel

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Where I eat depends on the mood and where I can get something vegetarian, which isn't always easy to find. I try to eat as much of the local dishes as I can and support the local restaurants rather than spending my money in a western owned restaurant. :)

Curt1591

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

There are some pretty great burgers in Oz. There are also some that are simply awful. It can be a toss of the dice. Although McDonalds is mediocre, at best, it is usually consistent, hence the appeal. Familiarity, in a foreign land, sells.

Wild Jasmyne

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I live in Mali, West Africa and I am addicted to "beef brochettes in the road"! Delicious, simple brochette de boeuf for a simple 200CFA each (thats less than 25 cents US!). I am having to cut back though as it turns out it's the only thing I've been eating lately!!

Also in Bamako, the best food I've had is at the Bla Bla Bar which is a glitzy institution here. But you can't beat the flown in Canadian steaks, the delicious marinated chicken, the yummy fish kebabs plus with a side of fried plantains or attike (kind of like a couscous with vegatables and lime), you can't go wrong. Simply the nicest food I've had in an African restaurant.

Of course the BEST food I've had in Africa, hands down is fresh gambas (prawns) caught in the morning in Lome, Togo. We had my husbands mom cook them up with lemon and parsley and it was delicious.

Liforce

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 11th, 2010
Most of our meals come from food stalls, street carts, and small cafes. As soon as I arrive somewhere new, I'll ask fellow travelers who have been around for a while for their recommendations, and if someone comes in with a box of delicious smelling take-out, I'm not shy about asking where it came from. We've found some amazing meals this way, usually cooked on a grill in the back of a family-owned laundromat or something, not even from a recognizable restaurant.

I don't eat at hotels unless I'm on a business trip and have no other option; some of the worst meals I've ever eaten came out of hotel kitchens, and I find they are notoriously unapologetic about overcharging for poor quality.

I do try to seek out one restaurant that is a little bit nicer, usually a place that comes highly recommended or is known for something special. Sometimes this will be a touristy place and sometimes not, but I don't mind. It can be a nice change of pace, and it gives me at least one restaurant that I can recommend to co-workers and relatives who aren't quite so adventurous. It's also fun sometimes to be watching the Travel Channel or the Food Network and recognize a place where I've eaten. :)

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 13th, 2010
Nomadic Nigel wrote:There is nothing worse than the traveller who insists on going to McD or Subway or any other western fast food chain. I think it is just a waste of a potential experience.

Why is it bad? There is seemingly a moral judgment in your statement. Personally, I don't eat at McDonald's even in the States, but it hurts me exactly zero is a traveler decides to eat every meal in Beijing at McDonald's. I don't see any point to making moral judgments about different traveling styles, so long as they don't harm anyone.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 15th, 2010
There is nothing worse than the traveller who insists on going to McD or Subway or any other western fast food chain. I think it is just a waste of a potential experience.

As someone who has eaten in all sorts of places, and take delight in trying every kind of street foot at least once, I take exception to this.

There may well be much better places to eat in terms of quality and experiences, but eating in a McD's is not going to automatically make a traveller or tourist automatically worse. That's a moral judgement I try not to make.

Especially since, after staying in a country for a month or two, I myself have indulged in the clown food when other kinds of food seem less appealing. In Peru, it's true, this doesn't happen so often, but street food in Egypt is uniformly awful to my personal taste, and I loved the idea of eating at an A&W root beer burger joint. Also, the bathrooms at McD's are uniformly clean and large, the tables well lighted and usually clean. This makes them ideal study spots if studying in the area. The coffee there is often the best AMerican style coffee to be had, if not the best coffee in some countries.

Now, I can say that I try not to make it a habit to eat in American franchises, but lets look at reality here. On a students budget in some countries, if one doesn't cook for oneself, its one of the few options. IN others, like Peru, I always found cheaper and better places if I looked hard enough.

It all depends on the place, doesn't it, and ones PERSONAL food tastes. As I said, I always try everything ONCE if its not entirely disgusting, like thousand year old eggs, but I retain the right to eat what I think tastes good, regardless of the local taste in foods.

In Turkey, I must say, I seldom ate at any chain food place, once more, because I liked the cuisine of the country, and seldom found it lacking. I will not condemn others for wanting to eat foods they find tasty, even if the taste is home-grown.

Mind you, I found myself wondering why certain people spent all their time eating ramen noodles and drinking water in their dorm rooms when in countries with notably good food, but that's their decision, their style of travel.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 15th, 2010
Nomadic Nigel wrote:I still don't understand why people use mdonalds in Aus. There are some amazing local burger places where you get a really good quality thick burger, fresh bun, fresh lettuce, nice thick slice of beetroot and lashings of cheese!

Screw BigMac, I go local!

Believe I said for the FREE internet which in OZ is a big bonus---guess last night when it was raining in Juneau & McDonald's was right next to the Super 8 you would have walked around in the rain looking for a more local place, I preferred to stay dry---Even ate at McDonald's in Bangkok a couple times during my 2 month stay there even though it was insanely expensive compared to the local food, need a change occasionally.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Travel