What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

Where Do You Eat?

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 16th, 2010
Yeah, I guess I just don't understand the screaming intolerance of backpackers obsessed with being "authentic".

Curt1591

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 9th, 2010
For those wondering why anyone would bother with McDonalds when traveling overseas, try getting this in Kansas!

francis12

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 10th, 2010
I also love to eat on street foods. Balut my favorite street food in Asia.
Web blog and travel guide on Siem Reap Cambodia.

Wild Jasmyne

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 10th, 2010
Back to the Oz McD discussion. When I was 8 I went to Australia for 3 months with my family (dad is from there) and we visited a McDonalds around Manly Beach somewhere because us kids were really picky at the time (even though my younger brother was hooked on Vegemite sandwiches!). But it's true, the Australian McDonalds is CRAP!! And they charged for individual ketchup packets. The burgers were awful, the fries were not done cooking, everything was overloaded with grease. My parents were stoked though because after that we stopped complaining about eating Fish & Chips every time.

In China I found this hilarious KFC in the CHINESE Mosque in Urumqi. Seriously the lamest thing I have ever seen. I would be pissed if someone put a fast food joint in my church.

However after being in Bamako for the last 9 months, I do find myself craving certain things.. so I am already planning a visit to McDonalds for a good old quarter pounder. Then definitley hitting up Chipotle as much as I can before I go. The thing I love about these is it's cheap, its fast and it's pretty reliable, especially Chipotle.

Frank Wilson

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 11th, 2010
I have always enjoyed street food a lot they are simply the best for me, here are the reasons

1. You can not get this taste anywhere else at home nor at hotels
2. They are cheap
3. So many varieties
4. Most of all its fun and thrilling

Thailand , Malaysia and Singapore has great street food places

Seat24A

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 25th, 2010
When I went RTW, I tried to eat local as much as possible. As others have said here, it's usually better tasting and cheaper than western style or international chains.

I felt the same way that a lot of people do and avoided McD's at all costs. However, after days of not being able to eat much more than plain rice due to a case of "Delhi belly" (well Mumbai, actually), the golden arches called to me and I have to say those fries were the most comforting thing I could have asked for. It was on that visit that I discovered McAloo Tikki - something you'll never see on a US menu. It changed my mind about McDonalds when I realized how interesting it can be to discover their local menus (and how clean their restrooms were!).

Tobiconway

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 25th, 2010
Curt1591 wrote:Travelers have different opinions about eating while on holiday. Some dine only in major, international chains and hotel restaurants. Some may add major local chains. Others try smaller, family eateries. Then there are those who get down and dirty and dine from small shops, stalls and carts.

When I am traveling I always try to eat at different places. I additionally always try the local cuisine. This is not always good but sometimes it is a surprise because I often thought that the local cuisine is not good but I have been convinced by the contrary. I think it is important to try the local cuisine because for me personally it is always an important experience.

Alyssa-MV

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 27th, 2010
I eat street food in my city, so when I travel it wouldn't make sense to avoid them, seeing as they're unlikely to be less clean or healthy than my own.
Still, not just because the locals eat there it will be okay for you, it depends on what you're used to and it affects some people more than others.
I go to the other side of town in search for a woman with a cart that sells burgers next to the Rowing club - we called her Mrs Poison when I rowed, and yet we all had the burger "with everything".

I study in a tourist district, Miraflores, in Lima, and we are always surprised to find McDonald's packed with foreigners and backpackers, seeing that there are so many good local restaurants nearby, and food in general is so good here! We usually go for the "menus", that are cheap and include everything, and its where most working people or students eat.
Usually it just takes to look at something to know whether it's going to be good or not.
The only thing to be avoided, at least in Lima, is mayonnaise. I've known many to get salmonella from street mayonnaise. And, if you want to be careful, pork, at least if it's not a decent place that sells it.

Previous

Return to Food & Travel