What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

Where does the best breakfast?

Beachcombers

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 26th, 2011
Apart from your own country, what and where is the best breakfast you have had?

Banana pancakes in Thailand? Hash Browns and sausages in a diner in the US?

For me...nothing tops a veggie roti and mango lassi that is so common in Malaysia, cheap, filling and utterly delicious!

Don't forget your history
Know your destiny
In the abundance of water
The fool is thirsty

"Rat race" - Bob Marley

rhythm_blues

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 27th, 2011
I like Japanese breakfast buffets; you can get them in most hotels in Japan. They have a wide variety of Japanese, Western, and sometimes Chinese foods. I especially like eating smoked fish, miso soup, congee, and fresh fruit at such buffets.

My best overall breakfast experience has to be the time, many years ago, when we stayed in a Balinese bungalow and had all kinds of fresh fruit -- pineapple, mango, rambutans, lychees, star fruit, etc. -- in a picturesque garden. It was ridiculously cheap too.

lauracatherine

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Istanbul: the plumpest, most ripe olives, the reddest and juiciest tomatoes I've ever had, cheese that melted in my mouth, hard boiled eggs, and the crustiest softest bread. Ohhh I want some right now! :)

and

Ireland: fried eggs, potatoes of some/any kind, beans, fried tomatoes, bangers, (and the stuff I don't like:) black and white "pudding".

And then Europe for its Muesli. This American misses Muesli! :(
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

braslvr

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

The best overall breakfasts in the world are found in the pacific northwest USA especially Oregon. The rest of the US would be #2. Outside of the US, hotel breakfast buffets in the farang-centric areas of Thailand are great (Thais can cook anything well), and to a lessor degree the English fry-ups in the UK (sans bangers). The Philippines is OK too. I find Japanese hotel breakfast buffets horrid. I despise congee, and I don't want fish, rice, raw eggs, natto, steamed lotus root, or green salad for brekkie. I survived breakfast for several months total there on miso soup, toast, and scrambled eggs when they had them.

anuraglidl

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

I like the Punjabi dishes that I had tasted while I was in a hotel in Chandigarh. I admit that it was too heavy and my stomach was about to burst but it tasted delicious. The spices that these people use in food smells great. I remember two such dishes that I had tasted and found great. One is chole-bhature and the other one is makke-di-roti with sarso-da-saag(as they call it).

Straum

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 30th, 2011
Nothing beats huevos rancheros in Central America... mmmm, lard-base handmade tortillas with over-medium eggs smothered in a rich ranchero sauce with papas and refried beans... YUM. Especially after a night of enjoying cheap beer.
Netherlands in April, Pacific Northwest in June, then on up to work at the family business, a Victoria BC hotel for tourist season... then a hop over to Montreal for the fall (hopefully)! A traveler's life for me!

Beachcombers

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 30th, 2011
Wow they sound great! Are they available through CA?

Don't forget your history
Know your destiny
In the abundance of water
The fool is thirsty

"Rat race" - Bob Marley

Curt1591

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 2nd, 2011
Back in the day, we used to hunt dove and quail in California's Imperial Valley. There was a little diner on Highway 111, just south of Niland, called the Highliner. Always stopped in for breakfast.

They served classic American breakfast, eggs, potatoes, biscuits and homemade sausage. Felt like we were eating down on the farm.

Maestra LE

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 3rd, 2011
I have to second the traditional Irish/English/Scottish breakfast - eggs, bacon, sausage, black pudding, beans, tomatoes, toast...and I'm sure there's some component I'm forgetting!

braslvr

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 3rd, 2011
I forgot to include Mexico. Very good breakfast there. In fact even breakfast at Mexican restaurants in the US is usually a welcome treat.

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 5th, 2011
Most places I've traveled seem to drastically undervalue breakfast. England wins hands down for the complete, filling breakfast that's standard accross the country. Except the cold toast. I'll never understand that.

Ecuador was pretty good, too. But mainly for the fresh juice. None of the solid food stands out as "man that was good breakfast."

The big losers, IMHO, are the Mediterranean countries, where a hardboiled egg and some olives seems to qualify as a meal. Sometimes we couldn't even find anywhere serving food before 11am.

Return to Food & Travel