If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

Where have you lived abroad?

trackingbell

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: August 17th, 2010
I've lived in Ireland, a few month in Chicago and then Germany. My next destination will be the United States again but first I have to go through the process of green card application for this time I want to stay in America. At least for the next several years.

Arre

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 28th, 2010
I'm from the States. I've also lived in

Sweden (1 year, high school exchange)
Canada (2 years, university)
New Zealand (1 year, university)
South Korea (4 months, teaching English)
Turkey (current, 3 months so far, bartending and working at a hostel)

Paul79UF

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 23rd, 2010
I spent about 6 months in Buenos Aires, Argentina a few years ago.

Most recently, about 6 months in New Zealand.

Those relatively long trips always make me appreciate the USA and my home area of Florida that much more when I come back.

Fluffy_bunny

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 29th, 2010
I'm a Canadian, but have been on the road now for nearly 20 years. I have lived (worked or studied) in chronological order, Canada, US, Mexico, Chile, Australia, New Zealand, China, Russia, Croatia, Turkey, Spain, Japan, Cambodia, China, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan, Mexico and now Yemen.

nancy sv

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 29th, 2010
I am American, but spent nearly three years in Honduras as a Peace Corps Volunteer. Later, I moved to Egypt to teach for a couple years, then on to Ethiopia for seven years, then Taiwan for 2 years, then to Malaysia... I figure I've spent way more of my adult life in other countries than I have in the USA.
Join our family we cycle from Alaska to Argentina! www.familyonbikes.org

karen121

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 9th, 2010
Originally from Ireland but I have been living in Germany for over a year. I love it here but I think I'll move on somewhere else in the next year.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 16th, 2010
I am Canadian but since I have started traveling find it impossible to return to that country to live. :censored:

If you consider a period of over 2 months living, then I have lived in Cuba 2+ months, 1 mo in Havana & 1+ mo traveling the island from Vinales to Baracoa by bus, Antigua Guatemala 3 mo while studying Spanish + another 3-4 weeks traveling to different areas of Guatemala, 2mo in Bangkok while taking a TEFL course + another month+ traveling Thailand. 8-)

Have recently purchased a house in Playa San Diego El Salvador, where I shall be applying for permanent residency, which I plan to use as a home base for future travels! :D
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

TravelWarrior

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 22nd, 2010
I am an American.

I lived in
Dublin, Ireland (4 mo)
Mykonos, Greece (approx. 3 years..8 mo each year)

Been a ride!
If you like my advice, please visit travel website @ http://www.EveryoneInBetween.com

peteop

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 9th, 2011
Considering I am still a senior in high school the opportunity to live overseas has been pretty limited. However, when I was in third grade my family spent a year living just outside Hamburg, Germany. I plan on going to college, getting a TEFL certification and adding many more countries on to that list!

wordygirlj

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 14th, 2011
I'm American, lived briefly in Germany (7 or 8 months, not sure exactly)--I was supposed to stay longer, but my personal life didn't treat me well during that time....Back in the US, but I realized that I really love the experience of LIVING abroad, not just traveling, and I plan to pursue another move abroad as soon as I can--I'm thinking Mexico City, but not sure what I'll do there.

Bubbha

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 15th, 2011
I'm American.

I lived in the UK for over 4 years as a kid. Now I have lived here in Taiwan for around 10 years total. I don't see myself moving back to the US: my life is here.
--
"Qian li zhi xing, shi yu zu xia." - Chinese proverb

MilenaizLA

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 15th, 2011
I'm from California and I live in Sweden now.
I'm planning to stay here for at least a few years and then... who knows? Maybe Spain.

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2011
I'm from the US and have lived in Switzerland and Mexico.
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

Philip_P

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2011
I'm from the UK originally (London), have spent a couple of years living in Denmark (Copenhagen) and in Holland (Amsterdam/Haarlem) and have lived in Australia since the late 90s.
Check out the Whitsunday Islands when you visit Queensland, Australia

Haci Richard

Jackson's Dad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 28th, 2011
I'm American and have lived in Turkey, South Africa, Japan and Tunisia. I was also homeless and in Paris for a couple of months, so I guess I could say I lived there too.

Previous

Return to Living Abroad