If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

Where have you lived abroad?

Papaya

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 9th, 2010
I'm an American but have lived in the UK, Hong Kong and Singapore.

How I miss being an expat. ;)

PolyglotTravel

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 13th, 2010
I have lived in Switzerland for over 5 years (studying at University and doing an internship) and in Spain for 6 months as an exchange student. Both were great experiences and I will very probably become an expat once again in a few years.

Papaya

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 14th, 2010
Where are you from Polyglot? I have always wanted to go to Switzerland, I've heard it is beautiful!

PolyglotTravel

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Papaya wrote:Where are you from Polyglot? I have always wanted to go to Switzerland, I've heard it is beautiful!

I'm from Luxembourg.
Yes, Switzerland is beautiful indeed and well worth a visit.

coffeedrinker

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

I am from the US and currently in Switzerland. We plan on being here for 3 years and then who knows?!?

Beachcombers

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 11th, 2010
I am British, but was born in Singapore, so I guess I started life as an expat!

I have since lived (in this order) in the US, UK, Thailand, Sweden, Philippines and now I have been living in New Zealand for the last five years.
Hey everyone, a bit of shameless self promotion! I have my own wine company now, please check it out on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eureka-W ... 2916852962

Zuleika

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 12th, 2010
Im British but have lived in Australia, NZ and India.
Life is such an adventure, I can't wait to live it some more.

cazster83

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 13th, 2010
American, but I lived in the Philippines for a number of years.

FemaleNomad

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 1st, 2010
American, lived in Ireland, Thailand, the UK, in that order. Am ready to go again. Not sure where.

rhythm_blues

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 7th, 2010
American, have lived in Japan.

We first went to Japan when my husband's father was transferred there by his company; we were in college at the time. We visited several times, then moved there between university and graduate school. (Yes, we taught English.)

Later, my father-in-law was sent to the Netherlands for work. We enjoyed visiting there too, but never lived there.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 7th, 2010
I've lived in:
Mexico city
Lagos de Montebellos/ / Chiapas
Spain 8 months
Lago de Atitlan, Guatemala
I am currently considering moving to Peru at the first opportunity. I do love Peru.
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

Nickyps

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 19th, 2010
I'm a New Zealander and I've lived in the UK (5 years), France (1year) and I'm currently living in Australia (3 years).

We will also be heading back to live in France within the next 18 months.

JR_TheDriftersBlog

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 19th, 2010
i'm living in kaohsiung, taiwan right now and loving it here. way more laid back and easy going compared to taipei, and the love river at night is amazing. JR@http://www.driftersblog.com
JR@ DriftersBlog.com "The Drifters Blog" has tips, thoughts & inspiration for your next trip!

francis12

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 10th, 2010
I am from the Philippines and now living in Thailand for 3 years.

Wild Jasmyne

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 10th, 2010
I am originally from Denver, Colorado and spent the majority of my 25 years there. However I did spend 9 months living in someone's broken down VW Bus on their front lawn in Albuquerque while selling handmade clothes and jewelry. Fun time.

In 2005 I spent 2 months working for room/board and a little money in Jinja, Uganda. One of the funnest times of my life between a free bar tab, free rafting, and just hanging out in that awesome small town. Hope to go back one day.

Now I have been in Bamako, Mali for the last 9 months (damn it feels like yesterday I got here!) and loving it. There's not a lot to do really here, its just a sprawling metropolis. But it's pretty, the weather is interesting (if there is a word for it), and the food and nightlife is great. I am working in a small hotel, but am in the process of changing jobs to manage another small hotel. Of course I am making "local" wages so I am not living like a king, just in a 200 squarefoot apartment with my husband, but it works for us and we aren't desperate for anything. We plan on staying here until May 2011 when we head back to Denver for 3-15 months depending on what kind of visa we can get for my husband. I am hoping to do Americorps in Alaska, but you never know - things could always change before then! Eventually I want to do a year long Master's program at the University of Ghana too. And we own a piece of land in Lome, Togo so that is the future place for us when we plan to "settle down."

Next

Return to Living Abroad