The home for BootsnAll.com members - talk with other travelers, ask questions that don't fit anywhere else and learn more about the BnA community.

Where to get away from Christmas?

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 17th, 2010
I thought that by traveling in Asia last Nov & Dec I could escape the Christmas season, but no such luck.

On Boracay in the Philippines, they started advertising just after Halloween, couldn't even get away from it in Myanmar in December & of course Bangkok might just aw well have been any western city. Did have to be at the Vietnamese Embassy before noon on Christmas Day to pick up my passport though.

Any one found a place to escape the same old Christmas carols, fat guys in red suits with false beards & most of all crowds in stores?
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Timmie

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 18th, 2010
I recall spending Christmas and New Years in Vilcabamba, Ecuador in 2007, which was so low key, meaning none of the ridiculous materialistic celebrations I'd come to loath in the US, that I view it as probably the best one EVER. In fact, I may head back there in 2011.
"Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but there's still time to change the road you're on." Led Zepplin

Fluffy_bunny

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I live in Yemen. As you might imagine Xmas isn't exactly a big deal around here. :D
For tips and storied on Central Asia, the Middle East and Central America, check out my blog
http://joestrippin.blogspot.com

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

Fluffy_bunny wrote:I live in Yemen. As you might imagine Xmas isn't exactly a big deal around here. :D

That's what I thought until I read that one of your neighboring countries just spent 11 million on a Christmas tree :crazy:
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Mama-to-many

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

Laos. In Luang Prabang there was one skinny Santa outside the French deli, other than that, NOTHING.

Return to BootsnAll Members' Forum