Figure out the best way to get from Central to South America, when you should book your accommodations for Carnaval and local language school recommendations. If it's on South America, it's in this forum.

Where to go in Chile?

AliciaXx

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 23rd, 2011
Hey everyone!

Just trying to get some info about Chile. So I have a couple of questions:

Where did you go (cities, parks, museum etc.)??
What would you recommend? What are the absolute must sees?
And did you knew all these places before or discovered them while travelling? In my experience you will get the best advice from fellow travellers and locals. So that is why I am here :)

Thanks for your answers

Kate and Dan

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

We're working on a series of posts for our blog about our trip through Chile — but in the interim, if I had to pick a place to visit it would be Puerto Varas and the area around Osorno Volcano. It's majestic — and incredibly beautiful. Great hikes to be had in the area, too. Our time there was short — and really just hit Santiago and the Lake District. But the latter is highly recommended — and we loved Santiago, too. Will update this thread as we go through our photos!

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I live in Santiago and it's a dull shit hole with poor service and nothing to see beyond two hills. The architecture is uninspired in the core, and you'd do better to visit the eastern suburb Las Condes if you're into that.

The prices are too high and the service is piss poor....but the servers always demand a tip. They often put the tip on the bill, even if the service is bad. I'd demand the money back, which they do regularly, and leave what you think is fair.

Live music doesn't start, mostly, till one or two in the morning. Bella Vista is the place for that...But I've got no interest in STARTING my night at two in the morning.

There is a lovely museum called Museo Bellas Artes in the centre, by the Bellas Artes Metro stop.. There used to be a natural history museum, but it's closed indefinitely after the earthquake. Beside it, there's an open air train museum. It's all right...but not free on Sunday. Parque Quinta Normal for that.

You'll notice that every home is behind a fence that would do Attica proud. Every apartment building has a guard in the front. The place is filled with pickpockets and thieves. Seriously. Spend two days here, if you must, but then get gone to the coast

Valparaiso is interesting, Vinas Del Mar is nice. Quintay is interesting, Los Molles has a fantastic park and a host of sea lions...and you can scuba dive there, if it takes your fancy. La Serena is good. ALL of the south is lovely.

Did I mention that Santiago blows?

The trip from Santiago to Mendoza is one of the most beautiful drives or bus rides I have ever seen. It's worth it.

Have fun in Chile.

D
Last edited by Piecar on March 23rd, 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck Out There.

Kate and Dan

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Piecar wrote:I live in Santiago and it's a dull shit hole with poor service and nothing to see beyond two hills.

San Cristobal and Cerro Santa Lucia? I guess we left at the right time — after a couple of days. Kate had the worst meal she's ever had (a vegetarian sandwich at that) in the Plazas des Armas. But I liked the museums (a few free on Sunday)! Compared with Buenos Aires, however, Santiago doesn't hold up — in my opinion.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

"We loved Santiago"

"Santiago doesn't hold up"

Strange, the first comment is posted, another poster calls Santiago "a dull shit hole" after which the second comment is posted. :?
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Kate and Dan

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Ah, I see. We spent just a couple of days in Santiago. So really only got to see "a couple of hills". What I got from Piecar's post was that we saw the best of Santiago. Our worst experience there was Kate's sandwich. Maybe our opinion would change if we had to stick around.

However, we spent much longer in Buenos Aires, which we Enjoyed more than Santiago. That being said, we got to experience way more of the city and the impression was more meaningful.

So "loved" was too strong a term for Santiago. Regardless, we really enjoyed our couple of days there. I would, however, say that we "loved" BA.

My best friend, who's been on a couple of RTW trips also shared the opinion of Santiago being a "dull shithole". Therefore, we were fully expecting to hate it. Thus, we were rather surprised at how much we enjoyed it if only for a couple of days.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 24th, 2011
Thanks for the clarification as I still have to travel to SA, only been in the airports at Santiago & BA on my return from NZ.

Your evaluations of places I have traveled pretty much coincide with mine, while Piecar (like myself) tends to go a bit to extremes, so was just curious. Plan on doing SA in small trips rather than all in one shot so the information is helpful.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

AsaG

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 5th, 2011
Chile is one of my favorite countries in South America and I have enjoyed all the places I have visited there. I still have my favorite spots though.

Patagonia is of course one of the most beautiful places in the world and kind of must for everyone that enjoys the outdoors.

Atacama in northern Chile is another breathtaking place. It is also a great place for star spotting... of the non-celebrity kind.

I also loved Easter Island, we spent a week there which we thought might be too much but it defiantly was not.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.top-travel-tips.com/

discoversouth

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 5th, 2011
Hi, Chile is a wonderful country, from north to the south. Here you can find almost every climate in the world, the world`s most arid desert, in Atacama and amazing landscapes in Torres del Paine, in Patagonia. Chile also has places that are incomparable, such as Easter Island and Antarctica. Besides, Santiago was choosen as the best destination to discover this 2011 by New York Times, because its rich cultural life (several museums, theaters, music events) and its boutique hotels, with an unique charm. Depending on your taste, you can really enjoy Chile, a great place for every visitor.

Return to South America Travel