Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

Where to learn Spanish?

YearAroundWorld

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: spanish, course
  • Added on: December 17th, 2010
skottandshawna wrote:We have yet to take lessons, as we are still hanging in Canada...but when we do leave, we will be spending 3-4 weeks studying Spanish here:

http://www.cooperativeschoolsanpedro.com/

Not sure if anyone has any reviews on it, but friends of our took classes their and loved it...seems pretty reasonable pricewise. We will do they homestay for sure!!

Good luck!

I spent 3 weeks here, and loved every second of it. San Pedro is only touristy down by the water, if you stay with a host family up on the hill, you won't have to deal with it.

Some links to my experience:
Living in a Mayan Home
My Spanish Teacher
Hiking Volcano San Pedro

I'm in Xela right now, and its REALLY cold. (No indoor heating).

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 17th, 2010
Yes- Xela is in the mountains, and it does get cold in winter. No heating because only the rich bother with such thingsm fuel cost being what it is, and buildings being built with no heating infrastructure. That's what wood stoves and blankets are for. :)

Have a good time there for me!!!

Say hello to the cocky Peace Corps people as well. I almost miss them.

Briena

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 1st, 2011
by busman7 » November 3rd, 2010

'I still prefer Antigua, just drove through Xela yesterday & couldn't see too many redeeming factors for even stopping, except that I needed a cajero & there was one at the bank beside McDonalds!'

Here's one more for Xela(Quetzaltenango), Guatemala!

I just want to comment on the comment by busman7... I felt the same way about Xela when I first got there. First appearance is less than impressive and I wondered why I was there. I hear this same thing from just about everyone I've met who's spent any extended time in Xela... it's not a city to visit for just a few days. The longer you stay there, the deeper you fall in love with it. It doesn't take long and something there draws you in. You find yourself never wanting to leave. Perhaps it has something to do with the realness of it... it's not the tourist town that Antigua is. It's a real living, working city where you can really settle in to local living.

Xela is also a wonderful central point to many day trips and excursions. For instance, you can day trip to nearby hot springs, the painted church, or visit San Simon, the fascinating Maximon idol in nearby Zunil. You can take a day hike into the hills to the Mayan steam rooms. You can also visit the skeleton king Rey San Pasqual. There are so many things to do and see around Xela.

That said, there are plenty of fantastic Spanish language schools in Xela offered at cheap prices.

I also took Spanish classes in Nicaragua, but have no recommendations for the school I went to.

Wherever you choose to go, I'm sure you'll have a great experience!

Briena
www.travelingmydeeperdream.com

Qwovadis

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 2nd, 2011
3 cool pretty cheap places I like in CA

www.montanalinda.com (mountain cheap nice) www.tamarindospanishschool.org (beach)

www.casarosario.com nice around Atitlan sort of dodgy area though.

2 I like in SA

www.nuevelengua.com Cartagena

www.bolivar2.com Cuenca my fav best place/climate vibe for fluency for me.

Happy Hunting,

KathleenO

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 28th, 2011
I studied here and learned a lot: http://www.guatemalaspanish.com/ica/index.php?lang=en

They have a pretty good system for teaching the language and the teachers all seem highly experienced. It's a big school, though, so you'll probably end up speaking lots of English with fellow classmates.

I also studied here: http://www.xelapages.com/lapaz/

The ladies are nice, but they aren't the best teachers. But this is the cheapest place to study in all of Xela, at least when I was there.

I decided against studying Spanish in Lago de Atitlan because for many of the people who live there, Spanish is a second language. They are native speakers of indigenous languages.

Straum

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 29th, 2011
I would also suggest Antigua, Guatemala.

My sister has been going down there and staying a couple of weeks every year to keep her Spanish alive. I believe it is about $200 per week for room and board and lessons/classes.

She absolutely loves it, and you have the weekends off to explore the area.
Netherlands in April, Pacific Northwest in June, then on up to work at the family business, a Victoria BC hotel for tourist season... then a hop over to Montreal for the fall (hopefully)! A traveler's life for me!

Previous

Return to Central America Travel