Plan your road trip with must-see recommendations. Information on the beaches of California to the tundras of Yukon and everywhere in between.

Where To Live In Canada??

Nomadic

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 25th, 2011
I leave for Nepal and India in a few days, but once the money starts running out (around January) I want to move somewhere for work. Since I'm Australian and we can get work visas for Canada very easily I've decided that's where I'll go.

But I don't know which city/town to choose. Any suggestions?

Looking for:
- Good work opportunities
- Lively music, cafe and bar scene
- Fun and nice people!

I've been told that Toronto is really good. I read somewhere its like the New York of Canada. But some people also told me its boring and drab.

Also if anyone has any ideas about how much it would cost to relocate to these places that would be great too.... things like rent, food, bond, and all the usual stuff needed when settling before I find work will add up quickly I'm thinking.

Thanks!

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 26th, 2011
Toronto is expensive & not many jobs, might find something if you are licensed in a trade.

As the Canadian winter is not far off your best bet, to fit all your criteria, would be head to the ski slopes in BC. However you will find that while everything in Canada will cost roughly the same as in OZ, wages are lower.
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Toronto... well, it's a city, but probably not the one I'd pick if I had anywhere in Canada to head to.

I suspect Vancouver might be a good place to meet all your requirements, and yeah you can check out the ski fields for potential work in BC or around Alberta. I think that might be a bit touch and go though because January will be the middle of the season and after the holiday rush so often there aren't as many seasonal jobs left by that point.

Ben2Africa

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I was also going to recommend the ski hills of Alberta and BC but Yvette brings up a good point. Arriving in January might be iffy landing a job.
Toronto isn't bad. My bro is living there right now and loves it and I've also got a few friends there who are really enjoying the city. Like busman said costs are about the same as Oz, wages are lower. I think I'd recommend Victoria, BC for you or even Calgary, Alberta. Lots going on, fairly easy to land a job if you aren't picky about what kind of job (ie restaurants, cafés, retail, etc.) Montreal, Quebec would be fun too if you want a bigger city. It's got tons going on and would be my choice over Toronto. I'm from New Brunswick on the east coast and there's not much I'd recommend here if you can choose from anywhere in Canada. Halifax, Nova Scotia is worth a visit (so are the Maritimes in general) but to plant yourself there for work...maybe not.
BEN
"I travel not to escape but to find reality"

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

Sorry I missed the January part, the other posters are absolutely correct, for ski related work it would be best to cut Nepal short & arrive in Canada by the beginning of December.

They are also right about Montreal being a more fun city than Toronto however unless your French is fairly good job possibilities will be limited.
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 8th, 2011
I'll add my vote for Montreal. Toronto's the last place I'd suggest. There's elements of New York (the largest city, home to the financial industry, for instance), but not the ones you're looking for.

As for speaking French...if you're unilingual, it will limit you somewhat, but my cousin and his wife spoke no French when they moved, and haven't had problems keeping busy. It all depends what your other skills and qualifications are.

If you're uncomfortable with the language issue, Vancouver would be your second bet.

Straum

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 23rd, 2011
I would say Vancouver or Victoria BC. Montreal is AWESOME, but there is the French thing and it is very hard to find work if you are not a French and English speaker.

Vancouver is cool for a big city, Victoria is cool as a smaller city, and the winters are much milder since they are on the water. Plus, they have excellent access to Banff and Jasper Provincial Parks and many ski resorts that might have work for you in January... also, closer to home for you (Australia).
Netherlands in April, Pacific Northwest in June, then on up to work at the family business, a Victoria BC hotel for tourist season... then a hop over to Montreal for the fall (hopefully)! A traveler's life for me!

Markus

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 26th, 2011
The skis hills around here (North Shore, Whistler) are all already open and it's probably too late to find work in those places. Living in Vancouver doesn't give you the best options to get to the North Vancouver ski hills (Cypress, Grouse, Seymour) unless you really love public transit or plan to buy a vehicle.

The music/cafe/bar scene in Vancouver is okay. It's not great though. You pay cover to get into many bars on the weekends, and it can be difficult to find a decent local pub. There are some great places to drink in this town, but most places tend to go for a loungy feel which increases the cost of a night out. There is also some amazing coffee culture, but a lot of places close at 4 or 6pm. Something I find incredibly irritating.

That said, the place is crawling with Australians and Kiwis, so there must be something that works for your people here. If you're not coming for the mountains or ocean, I'd probably skip Vancouver though. It has a dark conservative closed-minded heart that the outside world doesn't get to see that often. If you're really in it for the arts/culture/music/bar scene then I'd rate Montreal above Toronto above Vancouver. Toronto gets a bad reputation, and you have to work to figure out where exactly the scene is, but it's pretty good once you get into it.

Christian Renee Friborg

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 12th, 2012
Winipeg it is! I've been there a couple of times in my granny's house and I find the place really convinient. There are also jobs you can get when you settle down there. :)

will0502

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 13th, 2013
Winnipeg is a great city in the summer. The winters are a different story. I live an hour west of Winnipeg and it regularly dips to -20/-30, we've had a few days at -40 with the wind. So beware! Lovely place though and there is work around, and a decent arts scene.
It is better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way. - Alan Watts.

Return to USA & Canada Travel