What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

Which Anthony Bourdain spots have you eaten at?

GoBackpacking

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Tags: nyc, washington dc, singapore, france, barcelona, envigado, colombia, anthony bourdain, no reservations, food
  • Added on: August 17th, 2009
I'm a big Anthony Bourdain fan, and on my trip around the world, I tried to make it to some of the places where I had known him to eat/drink in his books or on No Reservations.

Here's my record:

- Blue Ribbon - NYC (one of his old TV shows)
- Ben's Chili Bowl - Washington, DC (No Reservations)
- Raffles Hotel bar - Singapore (No Reservations) - I think the cocktail ran me a hefty $18
- Sin Huat Eating House - Singapore (No Reservations) - surprised to find the big crab/noodle dish he ate would cost me $30!!
- Fresh oysters - Arcachon Bay, France (A Cook's Tour) - I discovered I actually ENJOY fresh oysters!
- Quimet & Quimet (tapas) - Barcelona, Spain (No Reservations)
- Brasarepa - Envigado, Colombia (No Reservations) - typical Colombian food....but in Pablo Escobar's old barrio

Any other foodie fans out there who've made it a point to eat at the same place? If so, I'm curious to hear where and what it was like for you?

Ironically....I don't even care too much for crab!!

anniebanannie

All that and a bag of Doritos

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 22nd, 2009
He was recently in SF...and though he said he ate at "local" places, most locals (well, those of us who aren't paid a ton/on expense accounts) go to the places he visited. They were all pretty high-end, which is too bad...I think the one place he got a burger may see a little pick up, and the place he got that bacon latte. It was too bad, because there are fantastic places locals do go, that won't break the bank...

I do find his shows entertaining, though.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I've walked into Raffles, but the prices on the menu sent me to MCdonalds or perhaps one of the very good cafeteria style chinese food places that are all over the place.

I need to see just where he's been, since I haven't seen the entire series.

Note: One place he would have gone to, or one similar, was a Venezuelan roasted meat place. They take whole sides of beef and put them on stakes against a roaring hot fire, turning them when needed.
It was exquisite. The Gran Sabana area is full of cattle farms, and beef is a local specialty there.

GoBackpacking

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Yeah, I know sometimes he's eating in more high end places, and other times not. That's what I appreciate about the show - he'll go eat at America's (arguably) best spot - The French Laundra in California....and then here in DC he ate at (famous) Ben's Chili Bowl. On the Colombia espisode, I couldn't find the Cartagena restaurant where he ate, but in Medellin he ate at Brasarepa which I visited and was surprised to find it was simply a typical Colombian restaurant - same food you could get at all of them, and cheap for only a few bucks. But the neighborhood was significant - Pablo Escobar's old barrio. And then he ate a local homemade dish on a rooftop with people. I think they do a good job of mixing it up.

kungfusean

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 14th, 2010
If you're ever in Manhattan, I can't recommend Les Halles enough. This is where Bourdain was chef back when he was typing away at trashy romance novels and that little tell-all he did.
I was making a habit of going every Sunday morning at one point.
Say 'ola' to Carlos in the back, who gets name-dropped in Kitchen Confidential.
This is Carlos and the guys working at Brunch.

GoBackpacking

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 14th, 2010
Hey Sean -

Yes, I made it a point to check out Les Halles after reading Kitchen Confidential and A Cook's Tour.

I had a great steak and fries, and my brother spent way too much on a bottle of wine. I'd definitely go back for more, even though I know not to expect Tony in the back.

Tickles

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 22nd, 2010
I've eaten at a couple I guess, like Japa Dog in Honolulu, but I was excited to see he ate at Asitane on the episode just a few days ago in Istanbul.
Always wanted to go to Les Halles when I lived in NY but never did.

Daawgon

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 28th, 2010
I believe I've been to at least 2 inexpensive "bun" or rice noodle places in Hanoi that Bourdain also likes: Bun Cha Dac Kim and Bun Bo Nam Bo. Of the two, Bun Bo Nam Bo is the one I return to at least once a week while in country.

pictured here is a plate of Bun Bo:
http://stickyrice.typepad.com/my_weblog/2005/07/wham_bam_thanky.html

Wiskee

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 9th, 2010
Dude, the Silver Palm in Chicago has the "Three Little Pigs" sandwich and that thing is A-MAZ-ING.
Formerly bakpakaddict

Return to Food & Travel