Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Which European cities are the best in December?

fantasyvn

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: August 9th, 2005
Dear all,

In December, Europe is normally very cold and . So could you please recommend which city is the most pleasant to visit in December?

My sincere thanks,

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

In Europe? That may be difficult.

Can you travel to the southern hemisphere?

Try Buenos Aires.

Clay

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Sicily stays around 10 degrees

Crete

Maybe Cyprus

fantasyvn

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

My cousin wants to go to Europe, so I have to obey him. Smile

Le Rikeh

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Italy and Spain are ok in December (not swimming weather) but it's comfortable enough to walk around cities. the only problem with Europe in December is the ridiculously small amount of daylight you get. I was in Rome in January 2005 and the sun was going down at 4:30PM...great if you love the nightlife I guess.

Kathrin

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Depends what you want to do here. December is not a great season for outdoor activities, except skiing in the mountains (if there is snow). But it is all right for city trips, cultural activities like museums, concerts, theatre, exhibitions, etc., and for enjoying the cities in their Christmas decorations. Especially in the German-speaking countries you'll find those splendid Christmas markets in all cities and towns (keep in mind that they all close on Dec 23 or maybe 24, so come before Christmas).

fantasyvn

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Thank you. Your suggestion of coming for seeing Xmas preparation is very interesting. To see all this, do you think 10 - 15 Dec is a good time?

To everyone: I've found two (separate) good offers for Rome and Barcelona during this period. Which city would you prefer?

EricaT

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I'd say Barcelona over Rome...only because I lived there for the last year and loved it.

But with the ease and affordability of budget airlines, cant you do both rome and barcelona?

Check out: http://www.vueling.com

By the way...what airlines did you find your flight for Barcelona on? I'm planning on going back sometime in the next few months and am scouting out tickets now.

Publius_X

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

I would say Crete. Don't know if the sea would be warm enough to swim in, but I doubt it.
-------------------------------
"in vino veritas"

seth from somewhere

Kathrin

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Dec 10-15 is just perfect for German Christmas markets.

Leif, God of Thunder

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by Publius_X:
I would say Crete. Don't know if the sea would be warm enough to swim in, but I doubt it.

Be aware that right about the end of September, the ferry service to Crete becomes relatively infrequent and timing is crucial. I got screwed out of visiting Crete last year (starting on Santorini) as the daily ferry service dropped to twice a week while I was there. Don't know about the schedule from the mainland, though it's sure to be a bit better.

Otherwise, Barcelona kicks ass in winter. Still crowded, but not teeming and not butt-crack hot. Anywhere in Andalusia would be a good bet too, Seville in particular as no sane person should be there in the summer anyway. I was in Rome in December. It rained all but one day, but the trade off in the smaller crowds was well worth the hassle.

Don't rule out Portugal. I'm told Lagos gets about the best winter weather on continental Europe.
-----------------------

Killing Batteries My battery-powered rise to the zenith of travel writing rapture
My full travelogue.
My personally researched guide to Romania and Moldova.

Kathryn M

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 10th, 2005
Italy, Spain, Portugal would be the warmest that I have been to.

I did eastern Europe in December, but my desire to see the cities beat out the cold, and it was cold.

I did spend a Christmas in London, it never really go unbearable there, just dreary.

fantasyvn

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Someone said in December, the days are very short in Italy. After 4, 5p.m, it gets dark. Is it true? So what do people do then?

Le Rikeh

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

In Rome people crowded the streets around Piazza Venecia and Piazza di Spagna. It was pretty surreal seeing tons of romans just wandering about in the 5 PM dusk... On the other hand if you stay there long enough it really starts to affect you (me in any case), sightseeing at night.

dannyxtc

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Barcelona is a wicked city, having spent a few weeks there in April I´d love to go back and can imagine that it is still nice and warm, then again most places are compared to sunny ol´ England.

One caveat - a couple of years ago we went to Malaga in southern Spain in December and it rained non-stop for the ten days we were there. Unfortunately we hadn´t packed for rain and donned modified trash bags whenever heading out to the (mercifully close) pub Smile

Next

Return to Europe Travel