Life and times of the Caribbean/West Indies. Shake your sarong, drink some coconut juice and figure out the best way to hop from one isle to the next.

Which Islands in the Caribbean have you been too?

it'chen-to-get-there

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 25th, 2006
quote:
Originally posted by braslvr:
quote:
glad to see that not many have visited St Kitts & Nevis - YOU SHOULD!!!

Not sure why. I would love to hear what the attraction would be especially in Nevis. A tropical island with no beaches whatsoever except in front of the Four Seasons Hotel where they brought their own sand in with barges. St Kitts is only marginally better. Both my wife and I who have widely different tastes were bored out of our minds there.

I guess it would really depend on what you are looking for in travel and visiting different cultures. To me, travel is not only lying on a beach and getting a great tan (not that there is anything wrong with that!!!) - but it's about learning how the rest of the world lives...As a North American, I feel that I have been blessed to live in a nation where things really arent so bad...Thus in travel I look to experience things that I could not, or would not, experience back home. The only way for me to continue to appreciate my roots is to immerse myself in different cultures.

That being said, I visited St Kitts on a research trip and while you are right in saying that there isn't a whole lot going on there right now - there is the potential, and that's what has me really excited. Classic Caribbean vacations include miles of sand and surf, great food and music and usually an all inclusive resort. What I enjoyed about St Kitts - that type of vacation is not an option. To have a great time you've got to meet the locals, get out there and learn about the islands history...again it comes down to what type of travel you are looking for..

What to do in St Kitts....let me name off a few things...

-climb Mount Liamuiga ("dormant" volcano on the North end of the island)

-visit Sandbanks Beach, where forest meets ocean and the pictures do it no justice..

-chill at a beach bar with locals who will initiate you into the island way of life...

-visit the US owned Vet School and learn about what they are doing for the island

-golf!!!

-visit the UNESCO World Heritage site...Brimstone Hill Fortress

-go on a tour of a sugar cane factory

-tour the heritage sites around the island with a local guide

*Visit Nevis and go on an eco-tour with a local guide who will show you where the monkeys hide out and which trees have spikes on them

and if you really think that you've done all you can...for less than 50$US you can hop on a return flight to Antigua...where you could shop, hang on a big beach...

travel is what you make it...and while these timy islands arent typical Caribbean islands...they have a lot to offer..
this is your life; are you who you want to be? go where you want to go...small trips for now...but look out...[url]www.wherescass.blogspot.com[/url]

TylerDurden

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 9th, 2006
I've never set foot in the Caribbean, but my wife and I are going to St. Martin this next week....

(Fingers are crossed for no hurricanes.......)

Abzv

Texas Otter

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 10th, 2006
How long are you going for?
"Trips are not trips to me. They have to be expeditions. I blame this all on Lord Baden-Powell"- Jimmy Buffett
www.DnMAdventures.com | www.metrobloggen.se/AmericanDad

TylerDurden

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Eight days....
(not exactly how we would normally travel, but that's all Inga could get off for in between summer and fall semesters....)

Texas Otter

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I wont lie, I am jealous. We leave on Monday to see Daniel in Finland. Should be good
"Trips are not trips to me. They have to be expeditions. I blame this all on Lord Baden-Powell"- Jimmy Buffett
www.DnMAdventures.com | www.metrobloggen.se/AmericanDad

Omie

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 12th, 2006
I have only been to two, Domincan Republic (where I spent 12 years) and Puerto Rico (where I spent 2 weeks)

I am biased toward DR only because of nostalgia.

Anne-Sophie

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 16th, 2006
I've been to the Bahamas (New Providence), Barbados, St Lucia, Curacao, Aruba, Grenada, the Grenadines, Tobago, Cuba, Jamaica, Antigua, St Kitts, Nevis and Dominica.

Loved Dominica! And Nevis!

aslack

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 19th, 2006
Nevis and St. Kitts, Grenada, Aruba, St. Thomas, Martinique. I'd like to go to all of them...

RentalioTraveler

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 23rd, 2006
Dominican Republic ... great place to be... try climbing on the mountains too!

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 26th, 2006
Bahamas, cayman islands, jamaica
Josh and Nicole aren't going anywhere for a while, but you can still read about their past trips herehttp://blogs.bootsnall.com/eppyboy

dfurbee

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 4th, 2006
Have been to St. Kitts, Nevis, and my favorite most beautiful island of Anguilla. Plan to return soon to Anguilla. Deb

kjerstan

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 4th, 2006
Puerto Rico and Utila (Honduras) as a sun worshipper i should have been to more already Confused

BostonBill

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 5th, 2006
St Maarten
Nasau Bahamas
I burn easy

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 11th, 2006
Not many. Cuba, Utila, Caye Caulker, Cozumel, Bocas del Toro, that's it I think.

Bush Trekker

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 23rd, 2006
Barbados
St. Thomas
Puerto Rico
St. Kitt

PreviousNext

Return to Caribbean/West Indies Travel