What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

What forms of caffeine do you eat/drink?

Coffee
22%
Tea / Chai (Ice or hot)
31%
Chocolate
26%
Coke/Pepsi/Sprite/Dr Pepper/Mountain Dew/Other carbonated
15%
Quat / Cocoa leaves / Other substance
2%
None of the above
4%

Total votes : 54

Who doesn't drink / eat caffeine?

circusoflife

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Tags: caffeine coffee tea coke carbonated beverages
  • Added on: January 10th, 2011
I'm in the process of removing many things from my diet. That includes caffeine.

36 years old now old. When I was younger I drink a lot of coke, pepsi, etc...
Sure I ate chocolate too, - Halloween etc....and drank Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate, and ate Chocolate pudding. Then later in life I drink a lot of ice tea (And hot tea now and again), for a while with artificial sweetner (Sweet n Low) until I realized that was bad for me...so just tea with regular sugar and lemon. Still drank coke/pepsi, etc...but less so relatively speaking.

About 5 years ago I drank my first full cup of coffee. Never liked it before - but after driving almost nonstop (Save a 1-2 hour nap at Denny's) from SoCal to Seattle (28 hours or so I reckon), the caffeine saved me from driving off into a ditch on I-5 (Main highway) in a moving truck. Serious buzz / alertness. So...slowly I got hooked on coffee - as well while doing a lot of writing.

Now....I'm about to focus on permanently getting rid of caffeine. In late 2009 I was able to stop all caffeine for a month (I don't think I ate chocolate...but don't remember), but started again because I didn't get to the root of desire. Now that I know better...

I've already eliminated coke/pepsi/carbonated beverages. Now, I am going to take out coffee.
Then tea and chocolate or vice versa.

-- So..I was wondering....anyone on this board, not consume ANY form of caffeine?

Coffee is everywhere....(ice) tea/chai is all over Asia, and more and more coffee. Chocolate is everywhere in different forms. And if those are missing, there is coke or related carbonated beverages.

-- In what part of the worlds do the majority of people not ingest caffeine?

And going further....

-- What parts of the world / groups of people - ingest no caffeine (Coke/tea/coffee/chocolate) and DO NOT take Quat or other leafy substances (Coca leaves)?

-----

Yes..I've just now read (most?) Mormons don't drink coffee or non-herbal teas (Don't herbal teas have caffeine?)....but they still eat/drink chocolate and some/many drink sodas - one post talked about bottles and bottles of Sprite at a wedding...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 934AAKK5o0
http://www.allaboutmormons.com/Question ... NG_194.php

Ok...so Mormons go part way...anyone go all the way?

Thanks...

Cube Dreamer

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 10th, 2011
Until Dec 31st 2010, my only form of caffeine was a morning coffee. I never have chocolate, caffeinated tea or afternoon coffee. I do drink certain herbal teas that are caffeine free (e.g. chamomile, mint). I gave up soda probably 5 - 7 yrs ago and avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague (used to use it in coffee and diet coke back in the day). I have not had coffee so far in 2011 but, to be honest, I am not sure I want to permanently give it up. My morning coffee brings a lot of happiness and, in the winter months, can sometimes serve as my main motivation for waking up! That said, after going through a 3-4 day withdrawal (my body is sensitive to it), I really do not crave the caffeine as much as the experience of drinking my delicious morning beverage.

I should mention that I am more concerned about the acidity of coffee than the actual caffeine (high acid foods a a big downer for health). Also, I always feel that the caffeine dehydrates me a lot. Overall, I am pretty sure y whole morning routine (food choices etc) are a lot better without it.

On my last trip (mostly europe and Asia) I did not encounter many cultures that did not have at least caffeinated teas. Pretty sure caffeine is easy to avoid though.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 11th, 2011
I'm not religious or superstitious, beyond my refusal to eat human flesh. As such, I see no reason to make categorical rules regarding my diet. It seems to me like an OCD thing to do.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 12th, 2011
I used to ingest all forms of caffeine except for those 'boost' drinks.

I used to love good coffee, a lot of it, drink tea, drink massive amounts of diet coke, etc...

Then my acid reflux hit me like a ton of bricks so:

No chocolate
No Coffee
No Diet coke
No acidic sodas, etc.
No dairy

I say NO, but that means "Much less", becajuse I've found if I moderate my consumptin, I'm ok,.

I am now drinking an iced tea, but I still won't touch iced coffee because it requires massive amounts of cream and I like to stay the nice slim 160 pounds that I have earned the hard way, through a 2 month diet.

I drink decaf coffee once in a while, but the watery taste doesn't inspire me to do it very much. Hot chocolate is much worse for me,and much more enjoyable. I do it on occasion, though I don't keep it in my house.

Too bad I can't cut my intake of sugars to zero. M<aybe next year.

Oh, I was once a caffeine-coffee addict, s\ucking down about 60 ounces a day during university, then a diet coke addict, gobbling down about one to two quarts a day.

I decided to cut THAT out long before I cut all caffeine, because its supposed to be a metabolic brain poison, and I'm challenged enough as it is!:)

rhythm_blues

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 12th, 2011
The survey and the first post suggest that Sprite has caffeine, but it doesn't. That's why Mormons drink it. Root beer doesn't have caffeine either.

Scritch

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 14th, 2011
It depends on the person. Like with any other religion, the practitioners can differ on how specific scripture is interpreted and in how strictly they adhere to the tenets of their religion (take Catholics and pre-marital sex and the use of condoms, for example.)

I've known Mormons who won't drink soda of any type, even non-caffeinated ones. So there you go.

I gave up on drinking caffeine a few years ago because I have an extremely hard time sleeping. Caffeine can stay in your system for hours (anywhere from 3-20) and I am apparently sensitive to it. When I'm on a deadline of some sort, work or school related, or need to stay awake, if not alert, for a few extra hours, I will drink caffeinated soda. But if I make a habit of it for a few days my sleep will be disrupted for up to a week as I get used to non-caffeinated life again.

I love chocolate, but I recently discovered I'm lactose intolerant. So my chocolate intake has been extremely curtailed. I've been told dark chocolate is safe to eat, but I've never really eaten dark chocolate in the past. If that ends up being true, I'll be back on the c-train soon.

Honestly, though, if your concern is just "what's good for you", the caffeine in chocolate is so minimal that it's more likely the vast amounts of sugar in such products are what you should be paying attention to, and the same goes for even non-caffeinated sodas. So if you enjoy it, there's not much of a reason to arbitrarily cut every product that may incidentally carry caffeine in it from your diet.

And with sugar, it's not even the type that is truly to blame. Too much cane sugar is going to be as bad as too much corn syrup, and even drinking too much fruit juice can similarly strain your system. So you see, just cutting out certain ingredients doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a healthier person.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 14th, 2011
What parts of the world / groups of people - ingest no caffeine (Coke/tea/coffee/chocolate) and DO NOT take Quat or other leafy substances (Coca leaves)?

Bushmen in Australia, possibly Kalahari tribesmen, South American jungle tribes.

Those things don't grow, and they have no money to buy it.

All over the world wher I have been,where money has currency, one could get such things.

Tobacco is probably what the jungle people use as a leafy drug, its what the American Indians used.

You did forget nicotinic compounds after all!!!

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 15th, 2011
No morning coffee just isn't right nor is not having an iced tea on a hot afternoon, of course forgoing chocolate is unthinkable & pop sure beats the carbonated water one finds in some places! JMHO :coffee:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

circusoflife

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 17th, 2011
Tortuga_traveller wrote:
What parts of the world / groups of people - ingest no caffeine (Coke/tea/coffee/chocolate) and DO NOT take Quat or other leafy substances (Coca leaves)?

Bushmen in Australia, possibly Kalahari tribesmen, South American jungle tribes.

Those things don't grow, and they have no money to buy it.

All over the world wher I have been,where money has currency, one could get such things.

Tobacco is probably what the jungle people use as a leafy drug, its what the American Indians used.

You did forget nicotinic compounds after all!!!

Thanks Tortuga! I don't smoke, so I guess I didn't think of nicotine. But, that is a leafy substance too (Good enough to fund Duke University I recall on a vist to NC)...oh wait...isn't sugar a leafy substance too? Corn? Isn't everything a leafy substance or fruit of a plant? Hehehhehe...in Peru..indigenous folks occasionally smoke cactus or something like that...I saw a vid on NatGeo once.

So maybe the Bushmen in Kalahari, Aborigines in Australia and "some jungle tribes" are the least intoxicated / high (Sugar high, caffeine rush, etc...)...maybe we ought to pay attention to how they live...could be some lessons...

Earlier post is correct about too much sugar, or any substance is bad..
Last edited by circusoflife on January 18th, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

coffeedrinker

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 17th, 2011
Check out my username. :lol:

rhythm_blues wrote:The survey and the first post suggest that Sprite has caffeine, but it doesn't. That's why Mormons drink it. Root beer doesn't have caffeine either.

Some root beers do as I found out when I was pregnant.

Food Pilgrim

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 19th, 2011
Keep in mind that chemically speaking Chocolate contains no caffeine.
I mention this so that you have free licence to consume as much chocolate as you wish.

"There is a persistent urban legend that Chocolate contains caffeine. It would seem that this rumor is based primarily on a confusion between two similar alkaloids: caffeine and Theobromine. Theobromine is the active ingredient in Chocolate and it occurs only in Cacao. The two stimulants are related and have a similar structures, but are very different chemicals with different properties, effects and origins. There are of course, some Chocolate products that have added caffeine, but it does not occur naturally in Chocolate".

Ksiu

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 1st, 2011
Caffeine is found in coffee, tea, pain relievers, sodas, and many so called "healthy pick me uppers" supplements. Caffeine is such an addictive substance that if it is taken out of the diet, it will produce observable, and measurable physical and mental effects or withdrawn symptoms. The withdrawn symptoms that would be experienced once someone comes off caffeine, ranges from mild to severe headaches, migraines, exhaustion, lack of concentration, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting with these symptoms lasting as much as five days. Considering these symptoms it seems that caffeine is a kind of dugs.

KathrynD

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 10th, 2011
I found this question amusing because I never drank coffee until I traveled for 6 months to Africa at age 30. Travel made me a cafeine addict!

Now whenever I travel my friends insist on taking photos of me outside of Starbucks. Embarrassing but amusingly true. I'm afraid that it sounds pretty silly, but one of my treasured memories from Singapore in the year 2001 was the first time I had a green tea frappucino. Another is having that same drink in Chengdu just last year with a group of friends at the local Xingbake. (It's a bad sign when you know the word (and characters) for Starbucks in other languages)

Just thought I would share so you can have a laugh (or a shudder if you are against caffeine).

By the way when I was in Africa nobody could say the "th" in Kathy so I became Kafe. I thought it was hilarious because I'm the palest sort of person - so I guess I'm a Kafe au Lait.

Lucky Luke

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 11th, 2011
My poor, poor mother has just discovered that caffeine is the major trigger for her IBS and had to switch to de-caf. I'm very upset on her behalf. The idea of giving up coffee horrifies me!

I'm *really* not a morning person and the idea of how that first cup will put the world to rights is the only thing that gets me out of bed most mornings.
I've been drinking (and loving) coffee since I was about 14 and have no intention to stop anytime soon.
I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I don't much enjoy gambling and I *usually* drink alcohol in moderation... I figure of all the addictions to have, caffeine is a pretty harmless one.

That said, I definitely consume less than I used to; straight after Uni I worked as a barista and was drinking upwards of 6 dbl espressos per day - was seriously wired a lot of the time. These days I have a pretty strict rule about not having coffee after about 2pm or else I know I won't sleep well.

I'm not much of fizzy drink - soda to the americans - drinker (gives me hiccups!) and the only time tea gets a look in is if I have to choose between that or [shudder!] instant coffee.

ps: the fact they put caffeine in painkillers (panadol ,etc) in the UK really weired me out at first but apparently it hepls them work much quicker. I guess perfect for the hangover days; painrelief and a pick-me-up all in one!

Ksiu

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 11th, 2011
yes, you are right. Caffeine is added to the painkillers in order to make the pain not so hard. Caffeine is added to the majority of the medicines as one of the main components.

Next

Return to Food & Travel