If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

who here has worked abroad?

Gerrit

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 21st, 2006
I am currently working abroad Smile

I first worked 11 months in Dublin, then started working in Belfast in July 2005. Both are callcenter jobs, found through regular employment agencies (edenrecruitment.ie and Manpower N.Ireland to be precisely).
I hope to find employment in Scandinavia very soon now, though it's gonna be a tough search I'm afraid...

jenneyre

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 24th, 2006
I am currently working in Buenos Aires and I'm from the US.

I have a job I absolutely love working for an Argentine organization that creates Spanish immersion programs in South America for foreigners interested in adventure travel.

I also do some travel writing on the side for an online English-speakers' guide to BsAs.

I came across both jobs on listserves for expats here in the city, though I admit it was extremely lucky...my other expat friends here are all teaching English part-time to fund their stays, which is another viable option.

Getting a work permit here is a giant pain because they understandably don't look fondly on giving jobs to foreigners with such high in-country unemployment rates...so if you want to get hired, it's easiest if you find jobs that either need your insider's knowledge of another language or another country.

Haci Richard

Jackson's Dad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 24th, 2006
I worked for 3+ years in Turkey, teaching with some exam prep magazine writing on the side. I got the first job by being in the hostel when the owner of the school turned up desperate. The pay was low, the work illegal, and the provided accomodation really dodgy -- it was in a neighborhood my Turkish friends were afraid to visit. I was on a first name basis with the Turkish border guards on the Bulgarian border and saw them every three months to get a new visa. The second job was legit as I eventually got a residence permit. This job gave flight money once a year in addition to free decent, but shared, housing I did manage to save BILLIONS, but then had to convert it to a real currency before leaving.

From there I went to Hiroshima, Japan, to a job I arranged in advance. They only paid the flight to Japan and helped arrange housing. It was a good gig, well-paid and interesting, and I stayed for 5 years.

My last overseas job was in Tunisia, another job which I arranged in advance. The pay was low, but part of the flight was paid for (the equivalent of London-Tunis; I flew from NYC) and they provided a crappy apartment in the dismal suburbs of Tunis.

Urban Kitten

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 25th, 2006
Working in Morocco.
Visa was easy to obtain ... money is quite okay for the local economy. Only challenge is ferreting $$ out of the country - the restrictions are draconian.

Cat in Rabat
www.gatita.gringa.blogspot.com

NuNomad

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 2nd, 2006
In the past I've taught English in Japan and Colombia, but the last few years I've figured out how to take my US job on the road with me. It's a lot more secure and I don't have to worry about what I'll do at the next destination. It's complete freedom to move when and where I want. With technology as it is, I believe a lot more people are going to be headed this way soon.

travel_tech

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 26th, 2006
I was thinking about becoming an au pair in Paris. Seems like a great way to get paid under the table AND a place to stay. two birds with one stone. I am going to look around when I get out there!! Maybe I will find a nice family, with a nice pad!

I dont really want to stay long. 6 months-1 year...

Bush Trekker

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 11th, 2007
I worked three years in Zambia doing just about everything for a NGO non-profit. Loved it. Lots of long term volunteering jobs that give you a decent seperation bonus when finished.

I have also worked on ships going all over the Carribean and Medeteranian. There are lots of jobs on ships and not just cruise ships that require no prior experience just not on American ones where you have to join the merchant marines or something.

And odd jobs all over Mexico.

chickyabroad

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 14th, 2007
Working in South Korea currently, teaching English. I can see doing this for awhile, though not all in Korea. I've been thinking of going back to school to get a teaching degree, to teach in international schools, or a MA in TESOL, to teach in universities abroad. I can't decide which would be a better career option.

Oh, and I found my job here on the internet. I get paid through a bank account, with a valid visa and all.

Losang

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 17th, 2007
I have lived and worked in Tibet for the past 5 years. For the past 3 years I have worked for a Tbetan run NGO. The money is not good by western standards, but I am given a work visa which is renewed once a year.

Life in Tibet

Sharmila

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 14th, 2007
Kathmandu, Nepal...
Thumbs Up It was easy for me since I am orginally from there and a lot of my family are there. So I yup, lived with my big, fat Newari family Darth Mavis (yes I like the emoticans)

First time I moved there, after a few months of trying, I networked through friends and my friend wanted to work with me on a new magazine she was working for, so, I dusted off my camera, and was a photographer and writer for a couple of months until I came back to the US. The magazine lasted three months...btw.

Pay: part-time, equivalent to $70-75 USD. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and I was working all day, running around, 6 days a week.

Second time I went to start my own project with a friend, a massage therapy school, non-profit, was there a year.

Paid for 3 months, $200/month, couldn't take any more money because we needed it for the school...so some funds sent for b-day, x-mas, and cause I needed some dough! But it's cheap to live there, so $200 is a good amount for entertainment purposes.

Both times, I got a very cheap visa because of something called, a Relations Visa, (proving I have relatives which was a pain because of the slow processing, and getting this document, and that document, that document, going to city hall, then back to immigration, then this then that, then finally my visa.

Currently, I'm looking for a job as a massage therapist abroad...many perks such as room and board provided, relocation costs covered, and other related perks. I'm going through a recruiter based in the UK and also sending out my resume to hotels, and spa listings I've found...

to be continued Roll Eyes

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/Sharmila

Comenius

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 29th, 2007
I'm American and have lived and worked abroad in:

Prague, Czech Republic
Taipei, Taiwan
Istanbul, Turkey

Most jobs were found by just going to the country with enough money to last for a bit and picking up the local English language paper and pounding the street and dropping off resumes. One job was referred to me by a co-worker so that was setup in advance.

It's a great, great experience. Even if you don't decide to do it for the rest of your life, why not try it out for a year or two? If nothing else, you will have lived and worked in a new place, and doubtlessly met some great people along the way.

my2thhurts

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I have worked in Europe mostly without papers. I usually found work at construction sites, restaurants or picking fruit. Getting the jobs took a lot of leg work and it helps to know people.

Now I'm taking the next step, I'm about to open my own restaurant in Germany. This time I'll be legal!

KateL57

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

Hey - that's great - and long time no see/post! Good for you and let us know the details when you're ready.
Make cay, not war - Kesmen

my2thhurts

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Long time no see! It's something that might happen this summer - if I get the place I'm looking at now. Otherwise it will be at the end of the year.

But when it happens, you'll have a new place in Frankfurt to stop and visit.

Stoo

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 2nd, 2007
tell us more, 2th! what kind of food?
"No. I was talking about the hooker in Reno" -- BostonBill @ the BOOTCOM10 Hostel

PreviousNext

Return to Living Abroad