If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

who here has worked abroad?

AsiaBill

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: August 1st, 2010
I worked as a "putz frau" cleaning offices in Garmish-Partenkirchen then in retail sails in AFRC Duty Free Ski shop when I was just after turning 22 and arriving broke from Morocco. Any chance I got I bought and sold items on the side like T-Shirts, puka shell necklaces etc and black market items from the Duty Free PX stores like Jim Beam Whiskey, Levis, Stereos cigarettes etc. Then after driving around Europe for 6 months in a VW Camping Bus/ Van headed for Asia knowing at the end of 8 months I could teach English and continue black market sidelines in South Korea landing Seoul with U$75 cash and a "ghetto blaster", 2 bottles of Chivas Regal & 2 cartons of cigs( $300 help transfer came from home sent to HK ). After slowly getting private lesson jobs one hour daily teaching English within a few weeks was making U$2000/ month and stayed in various yogwans / guest houses. After 3 months of riding buses and eating udong and kimchi everyday I had enough saved to make frequent trips to Japan to buy camera gear, electronics, whiskey cigs etc as a sideline allowing me to party and save money for the next big trip. This is too much blah blah blah eh? To make a longer story shorter the black market and various small buisness / vendor activities in California and hooking up with my wife we had incredible karmic luck together making enough money to semi-retire when we were 30ish. ahhh the good old days!!

NOW the cool way to make money for those travelers who have entrepreneurial instincts and computer saavy and marketing skills is the internet with a variety of on-line small business incomes which allow them to make money, travel AND live overseas in developing nations. I met a 20 year old who knew academic life to pursue a college degree in UK wasn't for him so opened an eBay shop and did well. Now he's 24 and opening a bungee jumping gig in the Philippines.

There are a few "VIP"s ( very important pirates )traveling around the world but usually they never share their stories until you've known them for several years.
Feel FREE to ask us questions about living, relocating & traveling in the Philippines; learn more by visiting our website.

lovemyluggage

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 22nd, 2010
I posted a few months ago about teaching in the UK and a decade earlier in Thailand. Next spring I'm hoping to go back to teaching, this time in UAE. VERY excited, as I haven't been anywhere in the Middle East, ever!

nancy sv

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 29th, 2010
My husband and I spent 12 years teaching in international school in a variety of countries. I also worked as a Peace Corps volunteer before I met him. I've worked many more years in other countries than I have my own.
Join our family we cycle from Alaska to Argentina! www.familyonbikes.org

WestportClan

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 6th, 2010
Lived in South Korea for a year teaching English. I then went on to live in France for a winter, living in the Alps working in a ski resort and skiing the beautiful powder snow every day. Felt and urge to go back to Asia, so started teaching in Shanghai in China. Thought I would go for 6 months but stayed there for a year and a half. Back in Scotland completing my Masters Degree now and trying to start earning enough online to prevent me from needing a "desk" job with a fixed location.

cregwilliams

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 13th, 2011
I did my post graduation at Ireland and settled there.live in Iceland a tiny island with a population of 300.000 ppl.From my experience,Stockholm, Dublin and London are the best and fine places to live.

Previous

Return to Living Abroad