Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in London with a 12-hour layover.

Who's been to Warsaw?

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 21st, 2011
Trying to find a cheap flight back to the USA from Berlin while running against the summer season where such things are getting difficult, and the two options are either stopover in Dublin a few days or hop on a train to Warsaw. I've been to Dublin before and know I'd enjoy a few days there again but never been to Poland so that would be tempting, but initial research hasn't left me with much on what might be interesting to see there. Suggestions on those who have passed through?

For the record I am a lover of history, wandering around interesting streets to see where I end up, and a good drink at the end of it. Flying via Dublin would also be ~US$150 cheaper, but I reckon Warsaw would be cheaper for a few days so the price would even out.

Traveler_2007

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Warsaw is a relatively new city, being that it has been destroyed during WWII. There are some museums and palaces to visit and from what I remember there is quite a bit of driving around to get to most of them. Downtown Warsaw has some "old town" feel to it, but once again, remember all reconstructed. My memories on Poland and Warsaw are a bit fuzzy, nice place but for some reason not on my "absolutely want to go back" list. Warsaw may not be as cheap as you think either.
Dublin seemed to have much more energy and I would not mind going back at any time.

Personally, if I have the option to go to a destination I've never been to vs. one I've already visited, I always choose going for the new destination. You never know what you'll discover.

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

I know it's not what you asked, but you might be able to find a better deal on your flight with http://www.icelandexpress. They fly from Berlin to Boston and Newark. Worth a look anyway. Good luck!

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Could you use up your days in Krakow? Would seem to fit your bill quite nicely.

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 22nd, 2011
Already looked into the Iceland option but alas it doesn't come out cheaper since I need to connect to Pittsburgh- parents are selling my childhood home, I'm stuck between an "ugh" and "sigh."

Regarding Krakow yeah I most definitely want to check it out as I've heard so many good things, but tickets aren't cheaper from there so I'll just dedicate a long weekend to it when I move to Europe this fall. :) Haven't heard too many "omg go to Warsaw!" remarks and also discovered there's a comedy festival in early June in Kilkenny, Ireland so I'm thinking now of just checking that out- never visited that town before in Ireland so it'll satisfy the "someplace new" category too! Hooray for small countries. 8-)

Return to Europe Travel