Traveling with 35mm cameras, digital cameras, camcorders, film, memory cards 'n All. BootsnAll members are welcome to post their travel photo albums, documented meetings with other members and brag-shots here.

Who still uses 35mm/Med Formats?

gettinglost

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 28th, 2008
I personally prefer it. And, people say it's a lot to bring with you, but I feel that It's not much different than a digi slr, except for a small case of filters and a few tubes of film.
I use a canon AE-1, Hasselblad 500c/m, and a Nikon FE-2.
I've never taken the Hasselblad out of the country... and It's my baby.
I'll most likely have to take the film with me, because finding medium format film in Central America, I imagine- will be quite difficult... But, then there's the problem of the x-ray machines...and I don't know of any film safe bags big enough for all the film I'll need....and then there's the possibility of my gear being stolen, and blah..
Should I leave the med. format at home (and the potentially epic photos that would go along with it), and just take one of my SLRs?
I know most people don't still use film...so this may fall on deaf ears...but, hey... all responses are welcome.
"It's not down in any map. True places never are."
-Herman Mellville, "Moby Dick"

RobertCPaetz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 29th, 2008
I'd say just take the hasselblad, and be conservative on what you shoot. The pictures will have so much more depth than most DSLRs. Oh, and get insurance on it!

Rob

Mom Says...

Littlemustard

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 4th, 2008
Ooh. that's a tough one. I think it depends on what type of trip you end up doing. It would be very hard for me to bring a Hasselblad on a big trip. I am just too hard on my equipment during my travels and I would always have it in the back of my mind that i didn't want to damage it and it might restrict some of the activities i partake in.

On the other hand, what good is a camera if it's just sitting at home in your closet? I can see why you are stuck on this question.

It took me a long time to make the switch from film to digital and i have to say it really makes travel so much easier. No worries about the film thru the xray and the xray bags are heavy and they don't hold much anyway. Plus buying film would be a pain. You would have to very cafeful w/ the med. format film and probably have to buy several xray bags.

I think if i was going for a month or so, i would take it. If i was going for a year, i probably wouldn't.

shoelessone

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 15th, 2008
I'm typing on a phone but I wanted I quickly say that I do also, in general prefer the look of a 35 negative to digital files. That said I actually started on a digital camera but have for the last year or so been developing my own film. Anyway for my 5+ month trip to SE Asia I'll be bringing my 20D(dslr) as well as my Yashica Electro 35 GTN (film rangefinder). I'm going to be taking some film, then buying a lot more in Asia.

Return to Travel Photography, Video and Photo Albums