Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling the east coast of Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

Working Holiday NZ - Customs Questions

JainaSJedi

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: working holiday, new zealand, medication
  • Added on: January 26th, 2011
Hi,

I am looking for some opinions from people who have done a working holiday in New Zealand in regard to customs allowances for personal gear upon arrival. Specifically, I want to know about bringing prescription medication along.
According to this, you cannot bring more than a 3 months supply of medication with you.

Now, I was planning to be over there for a year and have already filled my prescription in the U.S. I have a doctor's note explaining that it is for my personal use only. Has anyone tried bringing in a full year's supply of prescription medication? Or are customs agents really strict on the amount of medication you bring with you. I also did the same for the contact lenses that I wear. I filled my prescriptions here in the U.S. because I thought it would be cheaper, but now it looks like I can't take it with me. That link also doesn't recommend mailing medication.

Suggestions?

CAseyA

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 26th, 2011
I think how uppity they get might depend a bit on the medication that you're taking. If you're talking about prescription pain meds, sleep meds, or ADHD medication (i.e. recreationally abusable drugs) you might have more of a problem then say, with contact lenses or birth control.

I totally had my mom mail my birth control pills to me in 3 month spurts, though, and it wasn't an issue. So if you're worried about it, maybe have a trusted friend/ advocate in the U.S. entrusted with the task of sending your meds to you, now that you've already bought them. Then you aren't carrying them around with you, and if something does happen, you'll know with enough time to see a doctor or something over there who can write you a new prescription. Plus, then they have no excuses for not sending a nice little care package!

JainaSJedi

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 27th, 2011
CAseyA wrote:I think how uppity they get might depend a bit on the medication that you're taking. If you're talking about prescription pain meds, sleep meds, or ADHD medication (i.e. recreationally abusable drugs) you might have more of a problem then say, with contact lenses or birth control.

I totally had my mom mail my birth control pills to me in 3 month spurts, though, and it wasn't an issue.

Hit the nail on the head. Thanks so much!

I also need the contact lenses mailed as well.

Working Holiday Guy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 29th, 2011
Ive done a WH in NZ.

Regarding customs, in my experience they are mostly concerned with catching food, soiled camping gear, etc. being brought in for bio & eco protection. I would reccommend mailing your meds as well (whatever is over a 3 month supply), but I have no idea why you wouldn't bring your max prescrip of contact lenses since - its not a medication. They're concerned with drugs not visual imparities :)

Have a good trip.
Working Holiday Toronto Info
http://www.workingholidaytoronto.com

Return to Australasia and the Pacific Islands Travel