Like it or love it, most of us have to work for a living. This is the place to commiserate with other cube-dwellers and get tips from other business travelers. Talk about how the daily grind will one day allow you to realize your vagabond dreams. Share tips for turning travel you have to do into travel you want to do.

Working remotely from abroad. How to negotiate?

heymikey

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Tags: remote work abroad
  • Added on: July 2nd, 2014
Well right now, I am temporarily working remotely from Canada, my home country, while I await for my UK work visa to be processed (switching from Tier 5 youth mobility to Tier 2 General). The nature of my job allows me to work anywhere remotely as long as there is good wifi connection to connect to servers remotely and for conference calls.

I would like to ask them if I could live in some beach in Thailand or Costa Rica -- basically anywhere that has a low cost of living, good beaches, good internet, lots of sun. It would be great to earn in pounds and spend in baht, colon, or pesos. The problem is that they want me in the UK working in the main office, and they just spent a couple of thousands of pounds to get my visa sorted and have me fly back to the UK. And I am sure they will frown upon my request.

Anyone been on this situation before? How did you manage to negotiate with your boss? In 6 months' time, I would like to be living and working in some beach somewhere and avoiding UK winter.

halfnine

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 27th, 2014
I did it over a mulitple staged approach. Switched to contractor status. Then started accepting projects which didn't require me working closely with others, so I'd just have my own piece of the project to do. Then I started working for managers/projects located in different offices while staying at my home office. Then I slowly started working remotely without bothering to go into the office at all. Once that was well established I' started work from abroad (I didn't ask, just did it).

I wouldn't recommend flying off to other side of the globe, though, at first. Head down to Spain where you can easily and cheaply come back to meet with clients, etc.

However, if you intend on extending your visa or getting permanent residency, you can' spend much more than 5 weeks a year out of the UK. And, things definitely will get more complicated if you exceed 90 days in a calendar year.

Return to Corporate Wasteland & Business Travel