Discuss the importance of vaccines, side affects of medications, water-safety worries and health insurance questions. Research malaria meds, cost of medical treatment overseas and other issues related to health on the road.

World Nomads Insurance: The Answer Everyone Wants To Know

Markcs

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 14th, 2005
Well, I know a lot of folks here are always asking about good cheap travel insurance. Most of the time people reply "I got so and so insurance pretty cheap. But I haven't needed to use it yet so I don't know how good they are" And that is what people want to know most about the cheap insurance: Do they come through when you need them?

Well, I just returned from a 3 day stay at Bangkok General Hospital. (Read about it in my blog) And it seems the insurance company many people here buy because it is cheap, but they don't know if it's any good, World Nomads, will pay for the entire thing.

I called them before I went to the hospital, and they called me back in about 5-7 minutes to tell me which hospital to go to. They said if I went on an out patient basis, then I'd have to pay up front, and to make a claim. And if I was admitted, then the hospital would bill them.

While I was in the hospital, WN called me in my room to see how I was doing, and to tell me that they would pay for everything. Upon leaving the hospital, all I had to pay out of pocket was for my phone usage. So far it looks like they really will pay for everything. And it was a relatively easy process.

So it looks like for travel health insurance, World Nomads is a good deal . . . so far. I still won't be convinced until enough time has gone by and no one is asking me for any money (except maybe the $100 {Australia} deductable). But I'm pretty sure they'll keep their word.

Although, I did lose my wallet a couple of weeks ago and lost a good bit of money, and World Nomads does not cover that (I didn't even call them about it. It's in the contract). Other, more expensive, insurance companies may cover that. But that was my own stupid fault. Perhaps though, they would cover my costs if someone steals my identity. But I never reported it, so I won't be covered anyhow. I already know that no one used my credit cards.

Hope this helps everyone. And if someone from the hospital comes knocking on my door asking for money, then I will retract my positive assessment of World Nomads. But for now, I have to say, "I got World Nomads insurance pretty cheap, and I did need to use it, and it worked."

Mark

Emeraldeyes

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 22nd, 2005
Thanks for sharing.. It's good to hear an account of actually needing to either file a claim or in your case, needing medical care, and how the insurance company handled it. Sounds like it was pretty stress-free, aside from being hospitalized and all. Hope you are feeling better now!

My RTW blog is "Melting"

Markcs

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 29th, 2005
You're welcome. I just know that I was one of those people who wanted to know which cheap insurance companies were worth it. So I thought I'd help others in the same boat. So far no one has come calling for money from me.

And I am all better for now, thank you. Hopefully I am now immune to whatever it was.

Mark

UnspecifiedGender

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 30th, 2005
Yeah, thanks for the info. I'm about to purchase a plan with them, but I'm curious about a promotional code. Did you buy it straight up or did you have a code?

Ibn Battuta

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 20th, 2005
Hi,I googled for 'world nomads promotion code' and found a site offering 5% off World Nomads policies. The promo code was BRIT01, and it knocked my quote down by about $10.

Happy travels, AM

bucho_ky

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 7th, 2006
I went with World Nomads a couple months ago after shopping around quite a bit, and I have heard nothing but positive things. My only complaint is that they cover tons of adventure activites but not rock climbing. I'm glad to hear that you had a good experience with them, thats reassuring in case I need them!

Greg
http://www.gregoryrodgers.com

mewcat

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 8th, 2006
Wow, I'm really pleased to hear all this good stuff about them - I've just taken out my first policy with World Nomads and had had a few "hmmmm, just why is this so cheap, what am I missing?" qualms, but I'm much reassured now. Thanks!

GlobalKSP

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 11th, 2006
I'm looking into travel insurance myself, and am curious about a few things with WN.

Under their exclusions they have listed, simpley, Epidemic. Now i'm not worried about contracting H5N1 while in Asia, but what I am worried about is getting some sort of illness that could be considered an Epidemic depending on how it is described. I know it seems low and shady but this IS an insurance company. Has anyone heard of this happening?

Secondly, has anyone extended their coverage while on the road? I have no idea how long my travels will last so I'm planning on buying a couple months of insurance at the start and then hoping to extend my plan while on the road. Do they have different rates for this? If you have had any experiences like these please share.

bucho_ky

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 11th, 2006
Global, I know WN is famous for allowing extensions right from the web on the road. I have seen a few posts here on BnA from people that did just that.

I have no idea about the epidemic stuff. Insurance companies like to CYA themselves. There are actually several phrases in their policy that could be leveraged for abuse if they felt like it. One example was "anything that puts yourself in danger deliberately".
http://www.gregoryrodgers.com

Kath

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 29th, 2006
Hey Global,

I've extended my World Nomads coverage while on the road and they didn't charge more for this. I simply paid the difference.

Kath
There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark.

GlobalKSP

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 29th, 2006
Thanks for the info guys. I haven't read any really alarming reviews of them so I'm sure thats who we'll go with.

Bgagnonius

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 6th, 2006
I've looked into World Nomads and they don't offer anything over 6 months, or at least i couldn't find anything. I have a 9 month trip coming up in April and would like to get some insurance locked up before i go...any suggestions.

Brian
"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying"

http://blogs.bootsnall.com/Bgagnonius/

WanderingAtty

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 23rd, 2006
See above re. renewal on the road (over the World Nomads website). That's what I plan to do. I'll bet they limit it overall to 12-18 months (I think most travel insurers do), but 9 mos probably isn't a problem. I'm sure they have a tel number you could call and ask.

whalewatcher

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 24th, 2006
Worldnomads are just as bad, if not worse, than any other insurance company and I regret taking up a policy with them.

This is what happened to me:

I was waiting at the Pelni Terminal in Makassar for the ship to Maumere, due to leave at 4 am. I was smoking with my backpack a few metres away from me, next to some people sleeping. A guy distracted me for a few seconds and when I turned around again, my backpack was gone. Evidently, these people had been watching me for some time; according to the 'security' personnel at the gates, somebody drove off with the backpack on his back.

This is what WorlNomads has to say:

We refer to your claim for your personal belongings and advise that your claim has now been assessed.

SECTION 3: DAMAGE OR PERMANENT LOSS OF LUGGAGE/PERSONAL EFFECTS

13.1 WE WILL PAY
a)We will reimburse the repair cost, or loss, of any luggage/personal effects which are stolen or accidentally lost or damaged be we can reduce any amount we pay having regard to depreciation and wear and tear.

GENERAL EXCLUSION
12. Loss, or theft of, or damage to:
c) Property that you leave unsupervised in a public place to which the public has access, or that happens because you do not take reasonable care to protect it.

Unsupervised means:
• Leaving your luggage with a person you have not previously met
• Leaving it in any position where it can be taken without your knowledge
• Leaving it such a distance from you that you are unable to prevent it being taken

Public Place means:
any place where the public has access to, including but not limited to, planes, taxis, buses, trains, shops, airports, railway stations, museums, galleries, hotel foyers and general access areas, beaches, restaurants and public toilets.

Based on the information provided on the 05/01/2006 you were waiting at the harbour terminal for the Pelni ship ‘Awu’ to sail to Maumere. A man spoke to you and when you turned around again, your backpack had disappeared. It was leaning against a wall a few metres away from you.

As the backpack was in a position where it was taken without your knowledge it was clearly unsupervised. As per the policy definition above the harbour terminal where the backpack was taken from is also considered a public place.

Subsequently, from the information provided, it is clear that your personal effects were left unattended and unsupervised in a public place. It is also clear that you had not taken reasonable care to protect them from loss.

Therefore we must advise that we are unable to offer settlement for your personal belongings as you have left your property unsupervised in a public place. Furthermore your claim has been denied.

Simon M

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 30th, 2006
For your information, there is no limit to a World Nomads policy; not 12 months, not 18 months. No limit.

And 'Whatewatcher' is just a pissed off traveller because he was careless with his posessions.

Be careful whose advise you take.

Next

Return to Health and Travel