Travel writing seems like a dream job: a life on the road, going exotic places, writing whenever you wanted and getting paid for it too! Get tips on how to break into the business, learn more about what it's really like working as a travel writer and get feedback on your own stories.

Writing in Europe?

nychiquita85

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 24th, 2007
Hey all..
I just thought I'd throw this out there because I need some advice.
I've lived in Australia and in Europe and I have (what I think to be) a great idea of a writing project to do overseas. Does anyone have any suggestions of any publications that they have had success with? Thanks! Smile

jv

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 25th, 2007
I'm sure there are plenty of Booties who are willing to give their input, but we probably need to know a bit more about your project first.

Every publication has its unique audience and approach. Are you looking for periodicals or books? Magazines or newspapers? Anthologies or publishers who will put out a travelogue? Etc.

nychiquita85

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 5th, 2007
What I'm trying to research is a political piece on Europeans and our election and government, I've actually done some interviews with Italians during our last election..

Continental Op

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 5th, 2007
quote:
Originally posted by nychiquita85:
What I'm trying to research is a political piece on Europeans and our election and government, I've actually done some interviews with Italians during our last election..

Ah, well you won't have trouble finding content. Italians are always willing to talk about politics. Especially those politics they are only glancingly familiar with. Smile

Seriously, I don't want to discourage you BUT: Most foreign policy mags and and general interest rags alike seem happy quoting Global Pew polls, so you may have trouble finding someone interested in running a story on European visions of American politics. Editors ask themselves one fundamental question when reading a submission: who cares? The majority of U.S. readership, sadly, isn't that interested in foreign views of the U.S. (even those views that are glowingly positive, although such an article might sell better due to its modern scarcity.)
Please note: the above member, who is the very model of a modern major-general, with information vegetable, animal, and mineral, has retired from BnA and won't be able to answer any follow-up questions. To speak with him, use the PM function.

Return to Travel Writing