Discuss a good book to read on a trip or movies that make you long to be on the road. Share your recommendations for music - both your old favorites and the new ones you discovered overseas. Brag about run-ins with the hottest upcoming bands.

writing your own book

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 21st, 2010
We have been home for almost a year now (shock horror sigh) and people are still asking us if we are going to write a book. I never intended to and originally started our blog merely as a means of keeping in touch with family and friends - but it seems a few people read it and think we should do something more with our experiences.

But that doesn't mean we should write a book!

However, it has got us thinking......and researching......
firstly there a million and one travel books out there, so we don't wanna add to that pile (besides our writing is not of that calibre).....
but.....there are not many written from a child's point of view - and we have eight children's points of view to draw on!

Do you think there would be a market for this kind of book (or maybe the fact that there are none is quite telling!), and if there is, what would you want to see in that kind of a book? We already have some ideas of how we would structure it, but I'm interested to see what others think.
Be honest!

Hideo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I don't see why not. However the biggest drawback of a book entirely from a child's point of view is that it wouldn't necessarily appeal to an adult to read it. But of course children read books too, and travel loving parents may like a book about a child's travel experiences to inspire their offspring.

Books from children's POV can be very successful - just think of The Boy in Striped Pyjamas as an example.

I had similar thoughts about writing a book from my own travelling experiences after people commenting on my emails home and such like. It's very much still a work in progress, but the difficulty I find is converting a personal diary/journal into something more appealing to someone other than me to read. A relatively short blog or email home is far easier to make entertaining and interesting. But expanding on that whilst keeping it interesting is far more of a challenge.

However, why not make your book in the form of emails/blogs from your children from the road to avoid that problem?
The Never Ending Tour - short tales from my travels http://www.theneverendingtour.blogspot.com/

My Japan World Cup Blog http://japan.worldcupblog.org/

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step."

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I think it would be interesting, likely none out there as not that many travel with children.

An idea that might be interesting would be to the adults impression then contrast it with the childerns, would imagine that even the childrens impressions might vary by ages.

Have been encouraged to write a book also but too much on my plate right now.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

lauracatherine

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I'm intrigued.

Who would your target audience be?

Either way, I think it'd be great. Books like the Little House on the Prairie series and the Chronicles of Narnia planted the traveling seed in me long before I even knew about traveling. To reach the younger readers would be awesome.

And like Hideo said, the story from the child's POV can be successful. The book that comes to my mind is The Poisonwood Bible, where each chapter was from a different characters (mostly between the children) POV. In some cases, the chapters were about the same incident, just from someone else's POV.

Whatever you do, I'm going to buy your book-either I'll be reading it myself, or reading it to my nieces and nephews!
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

heymikey

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Oh, I think it's a great idea! Going over your blog, not a lot of people travel around the world for at least year with their kids -- especially not with eight kids. And especially not overland travel nor through Laos and Mongolia. This is actually something unique that would be worth looking into. And while the book is based on the point of view of your kids, maybe have the target audience as late teens. It would be like a non-fiction version of Harry Potter. Good luck!
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time" -- Fight Club

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Well to get a travel book published you definitely need a unique angle. I read recently (don't remember where) that book publishers have been inundated with travel book proposals ever since the success of Eat, Love, Pray.
Follow my travels through Central and South America: www.talesofagringo.com

K2

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 5th, 2011
I'd read a travel book from a kid's perspective but how "pure" is it? Adults will have to edit it and if you ask me, it won't be interesting enough so they probably "beef it up" a bit.

But it's a cool idea.

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 5th, 2011
Thanks for your feedback guys.
I sit here at the beginning of the new year, wondering if I have the time to devote to this project or not! Time will tell.

Return to Travel-Related Books, Music & Movies