Discuss a good book to read on a trip or movies that make you long to be on the road. Share your recommendations for music - both your old favorites and the new ones you discovered overseas. Brag about run-ins with the hottest upcoming bands.

your favorite non-English music

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 16th, 2010
I hate the use of the term "world music" for all non-Anglo music. (David Byrne wrote an excellent article on this a decade ago.) What do you like, and how did you encounter it?

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 16th, 2010
Gotta say that Brazil has easily the richest musical culture of any non-English-speaking country in the world.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 17th, 2010
There is just something about Latin American music that grows on you the more you travel there, also being Canadian & growing up in Quebec have an affinity fore some of the French music. Celine Dionne's "Quand la Soliel Dites Bonjour a la Montangue" is one that comes to mind, of course it's bilingual but still French in origin.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

seraphim

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I don't really like the term world music (as opposed to what? Mars music?) either, and never quite get the difference between folk and world music (folk is European and world music is not? or folk is "authentic" traditional music and world music is a mixture of different styles?), but non-English music sounds kind of silly as an alternative. That would include about 99% of what I listen to I guess.

Anyhow, I've been really getting into (West-)African music the last couple of years. Favourites include Bako Dognon and Ismael Lo.

And I'm a big fan of Goran Bregovic. And if I can name an artist from my own country, Wannes Van De Velde.
Karlien
---
Don't click here.

Landire

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I don't really have a particular genre of non-English music that I like. It tends to be more that I like a particular artist or song. Which can also be said of some English speaking music.

My favorites right now, and for the last few years have been:

Tarkan - Şımarık (Turkish Pop)
O-Zone Dragosstea din tei (Moldovan Pop), Yes...the Numa Numa song.
I also enjoy some country music from other countries but I can't think of any names right now.
Visit my blog: The travel blog

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

seraphim wrote:And I'm a big fan of Goran Bregovic. And if I can name an artist from my own country, Wannes Van De Velde.

Love Goran Bregovic - saw him and the No Smoking Orchestra in Paris about a decade ago. Spectacular show.

smartcandy

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 18th, 2010
Fan of Ladysmith Black Mambazo and Los Rakas. Enjoy musica cubana and any/all Brazilian drumlines.

Saw LBM perform at a festival before they were headliners, Brazilian drums in an airport hanger watching Carnaval practice, Cuban music in a college class, and a friend put me onto Los Rakas.

I enjoy *some* Italian opera, but good ole American television and performance venues put me on to that.

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 24th, 2010
Kumbia. Great stuff. Second would be Amadou and Miriam's great African rhythms....Third USED to be Salsa, until I spent a year in Cartagena and ALL the played was Salsa...Now I'd shoot myself before listening to any of it on purpose. I like dZihan and Kamien's electronic stuff...I got it in Macedonia, but I actually don't know where they're from. Eastern Europe, I should expect.
Good Luck Out There.

Wild Jasmyne

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 25th, 2010
Since I'm living in Mali, naturally I have to say the music here is now my favorite. Amadou and Miriam, Bassekou Koyate, Habib Koite, Toumani Diabate, Ali Farka Toure, Super Rail Band, Salif Keita, Oumou Sangare... yeah, amazing.

Superwoman

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 28th, 2010
Hmmmm, if I had to pick one, Gotan Project!

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Superwoman wrote:Hmmmm, if I had to pick one, Gotan Project!

Ah yes, my favorite Franco-Swiss-Catalan collaboration pretending to be Argentine.

(I like Gotan Project too, but they are not exactly what I had in mind.)

Superwoman

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Ah, I don't really think of them as belonging to any country in particular, just as unique.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

You should check out Bajofondo and Tanghetto, if you like Gotan Project.

Superwoman

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Thanks for the recommendations, will do. :)

travelgirltiff

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 30th, 2010
one of my favorite songs of all time is "ana oulache" by cheb mami. hes algerian but i think lives in france. you can hear both of those as influences in his music. its quite beautiful.
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.”"

Next

Return to Travel-Related Books, Music & Movies