Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling the east coast of Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

Your Joys of Travelling

chriswilson7

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 30th, 2011
Hi everyone,

I've been planning my New Zealand trip in June (yes cold, but I know and I'm British anyway!) for 6 months and am so bored of thinking through/planning it/saving/thinking of the 'considerations' etc. (all absolutely valid of course) that I just want to hear the good stuff about travelling, seeing the other side of the world (I've barely been outside Europe) and how much fun adventuring and seeing our world is. Just to enjoy the anticipation. 8-)

So, here's your chance, why is travelling (NZ or wherever) so good in your eyes? Give me both barrels.

Chris

Beachcombers

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 30th, 2011
Hi Chris

Nice question!

There will come a point on your journey, when you will have realised that your life will never ever be the same again. And it can be quite emotional! It gave me the courage and confidence to say "what the f*&k". I knew I could never return to my life back in Sheffield (UK) because I have seen what the world has to offer and all it's endless possibilities.

Don't forget your history
Know your destiny
In the abundance of water
The fool is thirsty

"Rat race" - Bob Marley

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 31st, 2011
Beachcombers is spot on + there is nothing as amazing as seeing with your own eyes, the Taj Mahal or your first sight of Mt Everest, scenes that pictures can never do justice to. :dancer:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

WomanSeeksWorld

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 7th, 2011
You are going to have one helluva amazing time!!!

I took my first trip overseas when I was 21, and then soon after moved to London from Australia, and I can say wholeheartedly it was the best thing Ive ever done! Ive not only learnt so much about myself and grown as a person, but ive met so many great friends and seen a vast array of different cultures and landscapes all around the world.

Enjoy this time and take every second of it in - and get seriously prepared for this trip to get you addicted to travel! ;)
Im an Aussie living in London and have written a guide to help others doing the same.
Follow my adventures on the path to becoming a fully-fledged nomad.

chriswilson7

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 7th, 2011
Cool, thanks guys. Nice website you have there on London too WSW - it is one huge city! A good one though.

Keep them coming :).

larizzle

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 8th, 2011
Just being somewhere I've always dreamed of journeying to is enough to keep me elated for as many days as I'm in the country. Watching the local weather sends shivers down my spine, especially when they show the "world map" and I can see how far I've come.

New Zealand is a fantastic place! So many beautiful, beautiful places; one of the frustrating aspects of being overwhelmed with such perfect 360 degree views is the inability to accurately capture it on camera! It never looks as good as it does in real life...and the folks are extremely friendly.

I envy your six month journey! You'll have an amazing time!

chriswilson7

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 8th, 2011
I'm there a month, I just booked the flights 6 months ago. Spending 6 months there would be cool, but it's just the one this time! Still, you're still absolutely right - I can't wait to go and the time seems to be ticking much more quickly now that I'm under 2 months before going :D. I agree on the first part too, I've dreamt of NZ for years and soon I will actually be there! :D

DenkiGroove

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 9th, 2011
I think it's wonderful because of the addiction of letting yourself go completely.
It's a sort of 'outer-body' experience; feeling, tasting, smelling, hearing and seeing different things.
Getting vibes from atmospheres that can move you to your core.

purplepixie

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 10th, 2011
For me, travelling is about the experience of total freedom, meeting people and experiencing places, and learning about the world, and geting to know myself in the process.

- Freedom - just doing what it is I want to do that day, without responsibilities or obligations. When I travel, I am just myself, and can do exactly as I please each day.
- People - I have met some amazing people on the road, some just for an hour or so, some who have become my close friends, but none of whom I would have met and learned from without travelling
- Places - seeing awesome sights for yourself that you just cannot put in a photo; both nature and manmade structures, being there, experiencing them. There is no substitute.

And whoever wrote that there's that point where you know life will never be the same is right; you just realise, that from now on, you are a traveller, and will never be 'done'. Other people who feel that way you bond with pretty instantly; those who don't just never quite get it.

Return to Australasia and the Pacific Islands Travel