Too often lumped in with North America, Mexico is a country that stands out on its own.

Yucatán Adventure!

Michael C

• Added on: August 30th, 2010
I'm ready to hit the road again! I've got 14 days planned in the Yucatán this coming February. I've got my rough itinerary down, but still have a few lingering questions that you all might be able to help with!

I'll have a car, which I think will be necessary for the route I'm looking at:

• Tulúm (3 nights) Cobá & Punta Laguna, Sian Ka`an via Muyil & Laguna Chunyaxché
  • Santa Elena (2 nights, Flycatcher Inn). Drive via Felipe Carrillo Puerto; Ruta Puuc
  • Mérida (4 nights, Las Arecas). Includes Ría Celestún
  • Izamal (2 - 3 nights) Drive coastal road via Progreso & Dzilam de Bravo. MacanChé or Hacienda Chantalé
  • Valladolid (1 -2 nights)
  • Playa del Carmen or Isla Mujeres (1-2 nights)
My lingering questions ... hope you all can help!

- I'm reading mixed reviews about the best approach to Sian Ka`an. The official tours - $100 US to be part of a group! - are pricey. How is the "backdoor" via Muyil & Laguna Chunyaxché? Or, alternately, how much can you see if you rent a kayak and tour the lagoon independently?

- Boat tours out of Celestún, Dzilam de Bravo, and Ría Lagartos all sound appealing. Can anyone compare the experiences of each? Are they that different from each other?

- Are Izamal and Valladolid comparable, or should I try & spend more time in one or the other?

- And my last day I just want to return the car and be lazy. Is there any compelling reason to head to Isla Mujeres if it's only for a day or two?

gracias!
Michael C

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 1st, 2010
If you can afford the rental car, then it'll give you great flexibility.The penninsula is huge, and it's as flat as a tortilla so the driving is easy. Even so, there are times when you'll want the car, and times when you probably won't use it at all (Mérida).

Anyway, sorry can't help a lot with your specific questions as I haven't visited some of the areas you've listed. I can annswer your last question though. No, there is absolutely no compelling reason to go to Isla Mujeres. If all you want to do is chill on the beach at the end, Playa del Carmen will do just fine. Plus it's more lively and fun than Isla Mujeres.

bardtemp

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 16th, 2010
Hi
My wife and I have travelled the Car. side top to bottom. I would definetly recommend Isla Mujeres.
It's a little different than the rest.
Just a short 30 minute ferrie ride from Canacun.
cheers

YearAroundWorld

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 17th, 2010
Make sure to visit Dzitnup Cenote while you're in Valladolid! :)

Wiskee

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 19th, 2010
I also highly recommend the Cenotes at Valladolid. In Tulum definitely pay a few extra bucks and stay on the beach. Merida is really good if you are into arts and culture but there are not a lot of "Sites" from what I remember. They have free performances at the cultural center, and the art museums are very good, i really liked the mus. of modern art there. But if you aren't super into the arts you may want to chop a day or two off Merida and spend them on the spectacular beaches.
Formerly bakpakaddict

PDXnative

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 28th, 2010
Sounds like a good trip. We were there in March and posted a ton of photos on our blog (see below). You didn't mention Chichen Itza. You can't miss Chichen Itza!!!

http://travel-junkies.com/category/travel/mexico/
Planning our family RTW Trip on:
http://travel-junkies.com

Twitter: GoRTW

Return to Mexico Travel